Residency salary Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrIng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows of any info on salaries during residency in Canada? (Im particularly interested inpsych if it makes any difference.) Thansk for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Why are Quebec residents paid less than everybody else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Each province has their own association of residents that acts as a union and negotiates the salary with the hospitals and health departments of the government.

the lower salaries in one province may just reflect the fact that their contract is about to expire and that a new one that catches them up with the rest of the country is on it's way (just speculating). Cost of living considerations also have to be taken into account. Some programs also have "call stipends" that greatlky increease your salary - especially in programs that do a lot of call.

Also, the salary doesn't take into account some other things: some programs pay for your malpractice insurance, has better benefits packages, pays for parking, pays your tuition and fees, etc. Therefore a lower "salary number" doesn't necessarily mean that you are making less.

I read this article on this website:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061004/ont_doctors_061004?s_name=&no_ads=

TORONTO -- The Ontario government allowed the number of doctors earning more than $476,000 annually to jump 56 per cent last year -- some averaging salaries upwards of $718,000 -- in order to ease the pressure of a shortage of physicians, Health Minister George Smitherman said Wednesday.

Further into the article....

Figures for top physician earners show 224 family doctors in Ontario earned an average of $627,000 last year, while 374 diagnostic radiologists averaged $652,000.
======================================
I am not sure if anyone can shed some light on this is..but I am assuming the 627000 is for your own practice? Does anyone know if the average take home has increased ...I read figures that family doctors make 60-80k take home. I guess I am confused with the $627,000 figure.

Its hard to find stats on how much family doctors make in Ontario. Anyone with some inside insight?

"Some 1,450 doctors in Ontario earned more than last year's cap of $466,000, while salaries in specific areas targeted with extra funding to reduce wait times soared even higher, Health Ministry statistics show. Nearly 1,000 Ontario doctors pulled in over $627,000 last year."

What I don't understand is that how are these doctors making so much money when there's a cap? I think the numbers are salaries before taxes and after expenses. It would make sense that this number would be way higher if you factor in the cost of running your own practice which most FP in Ontario do.

"
What I don't understand is that how are these doctors making so much money when there's a cap?
No more cap. The cap was removed about 2 years now.

I guess I still dont understand - by looking at the figures the 600,000 seems high. How much is actual take home?

I guess I still dont understand - by looking at the figures the 600,000 seems high. How much is actual take home?
I am pretty sure the figures are what was billed to OHIP meaning you have to take away the overhead and the taxes in order to get the actual take home. Some family doctors I know could bill up to that much as they use IMG's as assistants and see a lot of patients. They do run a good business.

These figures are the GROSS income. I've known plenty of FMs, IMs, Surgs who say the same thing - substract about 50% for taxes, and another 10-15% for overhead and hospital costs and you're down to a lot less. Mind you, it would still be a sizable pot. If you work in a private clinic, sure you have overhead costs but not nearly as much as doctors in hospital clinicals so if you dream green (which shouldn't be your #1 priority, you're in the business of saving lives, remember?), private clinic is probably the way to go. Of course, this is all from hearsay so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.kpmg.ca/en/services/tax/documents/PersTable2006.pdf

because saying somehting without knowing is a lie. not knowing is not an excuse.

up to 150k income canadians are better than americans IF the americans add the medical expenses and education expenses (what american sends his kids to o public school ?) to the federal+state+local income taxes (see how much manhattanians pay as income tax to new york city, not state; this is not about property taxes or sales taxes).

even the surgeon is a "md".