Residency Program Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Foot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering which residency program in the east coast known for its excellence in managing diabetic foot and wound care.
thx

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I was just wondering which residency program in the east coast known for its excellence in managing diabetic foot and wound care.
thx

I think Yale New Haven has a good one, but I'm basing it on reputation from other students that went there, not myself.

Most DVA's have a good focus on wound care, though you have to ask if it's practical because most of "wound care" is not FDA approved. Remember, not all insurance companies will pay for "wound care" products, but DVA's have (seemingly) an unlimited budget. Good luck, would love to hear about which programs are well published and established on this subject!

I think Yale New Haven has a good one, but I'm basing it on reputation from other students that went there, not myself.

Most DVA's have a good focus on wound care, though you have to ask if it's practical because most of "wound care" is not FDA approved. Remember, not all insurance companies will pay for "wound care" products, but DVA's have (seemingly) an unlimited budget. Good luck, would love to hear about which programs are well published and established on this subject!

Isn't that the truth?! Half the fancy stuff we used in my VA Residency is too expensive for the private sector.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
thx

Does the "Hospital for Special Surgery" in NY have a podiatry program? It's the best Orthopedic hospital in the nation according to US News. Just wondering.

Beth Isreal should get a look... I would've applied for that clerkship if it wouldn't have cost me a fortune to go/stay there for a month. I'm sure other big academic hospitals like the Brown Univ, other Harvard Univ, etc ones in New England also know the latest on wounds and have great external rotations in infectious dz, IM, etc which will really open your eyes.

I also agree about DVAs and wound care volume and supplies. Some places may will laugh when you mention Regranex or other advanced modalities since the cost is so high, but a lot of VAs let you get what you need for optimal care (supplies anyways... staffing might be another story).

Beth Isreal should get a look... I would've applied for that clerkship if it wouldn't have cost me a fortune to go/stay there for a month. I'm sure other big academic hospitals like the Brown Univ, other Harvard Univ, etc ones in New England also know the latest on wounds and have great external rotations in infectious dz, IM, etc which will really open your eyes.

I also agree about DVAs and wound care volume and supplies. Some places may will laugh when you mention Regranex or other advanced modalities since the cost is so high, but a lot of VAs let you get what you need for optimal care (supplies anyways... staffing might be another story).

I think you would be suprised at the crapy quality of some of the podiatry programs at some of the bigger named hospitals. Most are good but some just float on the name.

I think you would be suprised at the crapy quality of some of the podiatry programs at some of the bigger named hospitals. Most are good but some just float on the name.

Very true. Mass General (best hospital in America, New England Journal of Medicine) is NOT a good podiatry program, they were on probation just a few years ago and still have trouble making their #'s. My friend who scrambled interviewed with them and their resident numbers were terrible (1 resident per year, each one scrambled). Everyone in his family full of doctors told him to go there, even though it's a bad podiatry program, but he knew better and knew he wasn't going to get any real training. He went to UMDNJ instead, a great program, thank god.

You would expect programs associated with universities to be good, but Krabmas makes a great point that a lot just rely on name instead of constantly improving on quality.

Lastly, "Wound Care" is subjective and not measured by the CPME for residency programs. They could in the future, but with the direction of podiatry toward Surgery, it's doubtful.

I think it's a matter of how intergrated the pod residency and attendings are into the hospital system's team approach also. If the pod dept is just a garbage bin of referred minor foot problems other services don't want, then that's pretty useless. If they are regularly consulted on good cases and their recommendations/abilities are valued and understood by other services, then it's probably good training. I suppose that's what the clerkship is for... MGH doesn't even have one which is a bit curious.