Residency program list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llogg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked on another thread about Utah but got no response, so I'm going to try this. I'm graduating from UT-Southwestern in the top third of my class with a 232 on step 1 (somewhat disappointing but I blame it on my daughter's birth that month). Anyway, I'm mostly interested in university associated programs that focus more on clinical training than research. My wife prefers we stay in the South, but not a deal breaker. Below is the list of programs I'm considering right now. If anyone has information about or experience with any of these programs I'd appreciate your sharing. Also, if anyone knows of programs I should consider but isn't on the list I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks.

My current list of programs
University of Alabama Medical Center Program
University of Colorado Program
Emory University Program
Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium Program
Duke University Medical Center
Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program
Vanderbilt University Program
Baylor College of Medicine Program
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Program
University of Texas at Houston Program
University of Utah Program
University of Virginia Program

Members don't see this ad.

I asked on another thread about Utah but got no response, so I'm going to try this. I'm graduating from UT-Southwestern in the top third of my class with a 232 on step 1 (somewhat disappointing but I blame it on my daughter's birth that month). Anyway, I'm mostly interested in university associated programs that focus more on clinical training than research. My wife prefers we stay in the South, but not a deal breaker. Below is the list of programs I'm considering right now. If anyone has information about or experience with any of these programs I'd appreciate your sharing. Also, if anyone knows of programs I should consider but isn't on the list I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks.

My current list of programs
University of Alabama Medical Center Program
University of Colorado Program
Emory University Program
Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium Program
Duke University Medical Center
Wake Forest University School of Medicine Program
Vanderbilt University Program
Baylor College of Medicine Program
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Program
University of Texas at Houston Program
University of Utah Program
University of Virginia Program

Man, you're upset with a 232! Bit of an over achiever! :D

As for your list, I can only comment on one.

Emory is probably the best program that you have listed. The PD is awesome, the residents are extremely happy/friendly bunch, and Atlanta is a cool city. You get to work at Grady (which is a grady experience on it's own) and Emory Hospital (which is a very nice hospital). Also I think you head out to Wood 's Hospital (I think that's the name of it). I was very impressed with the program when I went for an interview. They definitely make it a fun atmosphere: they take you on a tour of Atlanta, they put you up in a decent hotel, and they end with a wine and cheese! The shedule itself seemed fron-loaded with a lot more free time as a senior. A+ program!

Thanks llogg. Emory is definitely on my list, recommended by my mentor as well.

What about Barrow institute St. Joseph's hospital in Phoenix Arizona? They are known for their neurosurgery, but it's been recommended to me by neurologists and other people. I don't think they are university affiliated, though. I don't know much else about it. Maybe other people do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Additional thoughts on emory, I agree its a very good program with an expansion plan for the future with their neuroscience institute. The program has been going through leadership changes with a new chairman resulting in some discontent among faculty, as well as departures of star faculty to other programs. Grady experience in the future may be a memorable one and ultimately positive but based on my interactions with residents, I thought the program was stretched too thin with not enough residents at each of the three main hospitals, including emory hospital, crawford long, and wesley woods (mostly rehab).

I think the positives still outweigh the disadvantages as the other post mentions. ATL is an awesome city with lots of diversity and culturally thriving, not to mention great night life and restaurants.

Man, you're upset with a 232! Bit of an over achiever! :D

As for your list, I can only comment on one.

Emory is probably the best program that you have listed. The PD is awesome, the residents are extremely happy/friendly bunch, and Atlanta is a cool city. You get to work at Grady (which is a grady experience on it's own) and Emory Hospital (which is a very nice hospital). Also I think you head out to Wood 's Hospital (I think that's the name of it). I was very impressed with the program when I went for an interview. They definitely make it a fun atmosphere: they take you on a tour of Atlanta, they put you up in a decent hotel, and they end with a wine and cheese! The shedule itself seemed fron-loaded with a lot more free time as a senior. A+ program!
Thanks for the info on Emory. As for the 232, I'm not upset with it, but I feel like I could have done a little better. Studying anatomy would have helped.:oops:

Thanks llogg. Emory is definitely on my list, recommended by my mentor as well.

What about Barrow institute St. Joseph's hospital in Phoenix Arizona? They are known for their neurosurgery, but it's been recommended to me by neurologists and other people. I don't think they are university affiliated, though. I don't know much else about it. Maybe other people do.

Haven't heard of this program, I'll look into it. Thanks.

Additional thoughts on emory, I agree its a very good program with an expansion plan for the future with their neuroscience institute. The program has been going through leadership changes with a new chairman resulting in some discontent among faculty, as well as departures of star faculty to other programs. Grady experience in the future may be a memorable one and ultimately positive but based on my interactions with residents, I thought the program was stretched too thin with not enough residents at each of the three main hospitals, including emory hospital, crawford long, and wesley woods (mostly rehab).

I think the positives still outweigh the disadvantages as the other post mentions. ATL is an awesome city with lots of diversity and culturally thriving, not to mention great night life and restaurants.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about the faculty upheaval. That seems to be going around -- a similar story at Baylor. Do you mind saying in what context your experience with the residents took place? Thanks again.

Interestingly enough you are applying to almost the exact list of programs that I applied to last year. I interviewed at every one of those programs except Alabama and Wake Forest. I LOVED Vandy, Virginia and Colorado. All very solid programs with really great people. I actually ranked those as my top three programs (in that order). Emory, WashU and Duke were also impressive. I simply didn't feel as at home at those places. Utah was a great place. I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually my husband's favorite program. I also came from Texas and I have to admit that I'm somewhat surprised that you are applying to UT southwestern after being a student there. The faculty were amazing but the residents? Everyone was so miserable and they haven't been matching well. Regardless.... the other programs in Texas are equally worrisome. Baylor's deal with Methodist and Dr. Appel leaving was a huge problem... and one they interestingly never addressed during the interview process. We had to ask about it and they still acted like it was no big deal but in talking to the residents they definitely thought it was a huge deficit. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

Interestingly enough you are applying to almost the exact list of programs that I applied to last year. I interviewed at every one of those programs except Alabama and Wake Forest. I LOVED Vandy, Virginia and Colorado. All very solid programs with really great people. I actually ranked those as my top three programs (in that order). Emory, WashU and Duke were also impressive. I simply didn't feel as at home at those places. Utah was a great place. I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually my husband's favorite program. I also came from Texas and I have to admit that I'm somewhat surprised that you are applying to UT southwestern after being a student there. The faculty were amazing but the residents? Everyone was so miserable and they haven't been matching well. Regardless.... the other programs in Texas are equally worrisome. Baylor's deal with Methodist and Dr. Appel leaving was a huge problem... and one they interestingly never addressed during the interview process. We had to ask about it and they still acted like it was no big deal but in talking to the residents they definitely thought it was a huge deficit. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.
Wow, that's an odd coincidence. The only reason I'm applying to Southwestern is that my wife's family is in the area, and if I'm going to have a fallback plan it might as well be here. I agree, though, the residents are both overworked and subpar. It's defnitely plan D, but I figure I'll let my mother-in-law hope for a little while longer. The other Texas programs are probably plan D-2. Thanks for the info, you might be getting a message from me soon.

I like your discussions, quite frankly and helpful! I am applying for the programs in California due to my hubby's work. Could any one please give any input about those 10 programs?!

I like your discussions, quite frankly and helpful! I am applying for the programs in California due to my hubby's work. Could any one please give any input about those 10 programs?!

The only one I know well is UCSF. Simply an awesome program, top notch faculty. Engestrom is a great PD, and Hauser is a very cool Chair. I think the main issue with UCSF is that there seems to be at least one resident a year that drops out?!?!?! Not sure why. The program claims that at least one that dropped out wanted to do medicine instead. The problem with UCSF is the hours. They work like dogs and residents often off the cuff brought it up. One resident stated how hard he has worked and how much weight he's lost. I think you'll easily work 80hour weeks if not longer.

Hmmm, I missed out on all that 80-hour week stuff, but it seems like it's actually being enforced. I bet that as a high-profile, public program, UCSF would be pretty much under the microscope on this issue.

Indeed I'm sure that on avg over a month they work 80hrs, but when I was there I clocked over 90hours one week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, folks, for the info! How about other Cali. programs?!

I guess I can address this one.

Last year, for reasons that could not be more foreign to me, one of the people that matched to UCSF decided to turn her prelim year into a career in medicine. Crazy, I know. Fortunately, we managed to steal away a great resident that was bound for UCLA (OK, it may have helped that his fiance lives in SF) to complete our R2 class.

In terms of work hours, I won't deny that I spend the vast majority of my waking hours in the hospital this year. It is a front-loaded program, and you know what they say about things that don't kill you.... However, it is worth keeping in mind that the program is getting bigger at a fast clip, and the amount of total work isn't keeping pace. Next year there will be 10 R2 residents (8 adult, 2 ped) and the inclusion of a couple of neurology months into the R1 year in the near future will further lighten the load a bit.

The only one I know well is UCSF. Simply an awesome program, top notch faculty. Engestrom is a great PD, and Hauser is a very cool Chair. I think the main issue with UCSF is that there seems to be at least one resident a year that drops out?!?!?! Not sure why. The program claims that at least one that dropped out wanted to do medicine instead. The problem with UCSF is the hours. They work like dogs and residents often off the cuff brought it up. One resident stated how hard he has worked and how much weight he's lost. I think you'll easily work 80hour weeks if not longer.

Wow, that's an odd coincidence. The only reason I'm applying to Southwestern is that my wife's family is in the area, and if I'm going to have a fallback plan it might as well be here. I agree, though, the residents are both overworked and subpar. It's defnitely plan D, but I figure I'll let my mother-in-law hope for a little while longer. The other Texas programs are probably plan D-2. Thanks for the info, you might be getting a message from me soon.

Hey I've heard good things about UT Southwestern neuro (some of my attendings and a few residents) and I really like Dallas....much more so than Atlanta...I've heard that UTSW now has a night float and that the program is on the up and up...I have a relative in Fort-worth so I visited several times...I think the place is amazing.. With a night float in place I dont see how you could beat this place...because I've also heard that parkland is the place to see a ton of neuro cases!!

So for me (a us medical student in a top 20 program), I think the great weather and size of Dallas + night float + a great academic institution = a real gem. So it will be at the top of my list. Also I would expect that with the night float in place, people will start to swarm around this program. Not to beat a dead horse, but I have friends in both Rochester (Mayo clinic) and Boston (MGH) who hate the cold winters!!! So bring on the SUN without the terrible cost of living in a San Fran or Miami!!

Emory is definitely near the best on that list, but come on all, check the rankings... WashU in St. Louis is top 3 program in the country every year. So definitely the top on your list.
I'm obviously from the southeast, and preferrably want to stay here. I applied to most SE programs with a few faaaar reaching programs considering step 1 score of 221.

UAB
Cleveland Clinic (Westin, FL)
UF Jacksonville
UF Gainesville
Mayo Jacksonville
Jackson Memorial Miami
USF
Emory
Med College of GA
U of Kentucky
Wash U St. Louis
Duke
Wake Forest
UNC Chapel Hill
Cleveland Clinic OH
MUSC
UT Memphis
Vandy
UVA
VCU
U. of Washington Seattle

Hey I've heard good things about UT Southwestern neuro (some of my attendings and a few residents) and I really like Dallas....much more so than Atlanta...I've heard that UTSW now has a night float and that the program is on the up and up...I have a relative in Fort-worth so I visited several times...I think the place is amazing.. With a night float in place I dont see how you could beat this place...because I've also heard that parkland is the place to see a ton of neuro cases!!

So for me (a us medical student in a top 20 program), I think the great weather and size of Dallas + night float + a great academic institution = a real gem. So it will be at the top of my list. Also I would expect that with the night float in place, people will start to swarm around this program. Not to beat a dead horse, but I have friends in both Rochester (Mayo clinic) and Boston (MGH) who hate the cold winters!!! So bring on the SUN without the terrible cost of living in a San Fran or Miami!!
I shouldn't have been so negative. Parkland is an awesome place and I really wouldn't mind training here. The faculty are amazing and if you're interested in academics that is especially true. The program has in the past been something of a beat down and the residents seem pretty worn down. That is likely changing.

I have a paranoid fear that this is really Dr. O'Suilleabhain plugging his program and he's going to corner the six people in my class applying for neuro and try to found out which one is llogg. So maybe I won't have to worry about training here after all. If this is you, Dr. O, I'm just trying to drive off the comp to secure my own spot.

I shouldn't have been so negative. Parkland is an awesome place and I really wouldn't mind training here. The faculty are amazing and if you're interested in academics that is especially true. The program has in the past been something of a beat down and the residents seem pretty worn down. That is likely changing.

I have a paranoid fear that this is really Dr. O'Suilleabhain plugging his program and he's going to corner the six people in my class applying for neuro and try to found out which one is llogg. So maybe I won't have to worry about training here after all. If this is you, Dr. O, I'm just trying to drive off the comp to secure my own spot.

Ha!! Yeah I can totally see how you would be paranoid and I'm sorry for the scare but I'm not him!!! I'm not even in Texas!! By the way everyone, Dr. O is the the UTSW PD..

Emory is definitely near the best on that list, but come on all, check the rankings... WashU in St. Louis is top 3 program in the country every year. So definitely the top on your list.
I'm obviously from the southeast, and preferrably want to stay here. I applied to most SE programs with a few faaaar reaching programs considering step 1 score of 221.

UAB
UF Jacksonville
UF Gainesville
Mayo Jacksonville
Jackson Memorial Miami
USF
Emory
Med College of GA
U of Kentucky
Wash U St. Louis
Duke
Wake Forest
UNC Chapel Hill
Cleveland Clinic OH
MUSC
UT Memphis
Vandy
UVA
VCU
U. of Washington Seattle

I agree Wash U is top notch, no matter how you slice it!! But I've heard they whip you like an unbroken horse, until you either die from sleep deprivation, squill for your mommy or become a Wash U resident. I'd probably squill because I dont learn well when being whipped!! Also I dont think much of angel louy.

UAB
UF Jacksonville
UF Gainesville
Mayo Jacksonville
Jackson Memorial Miami
USF
Emory
Med College of GA
U of Kentucky
Wash U St. Louis
Duke
Wake Forest
UNC Chapel Hill
Cleveland Clinic OH
MUSC
UT Memphis
Vandy
UVA
VCU
U. of Washington Seattle

I wouldn't worry to much about your step 1 score. Although programs look at it, definitely it's not the most important factor!

As for Wash U being top 3?!? Not sure where exactly you read that (please don't say US News and World Report). Wash U is very good program and definitely in the elite group.

And in all honesty (I believe it was Astrocyte that said this), rankings don't matter. What matters is the fit? Meaning do you get the feeling that you'll fit with the program.

I thought I'd give some info on this program. I'm an MS4 here going into Neurology. I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but I think a lot of people looking at programs in the south favor places like Emory, Duke, Vandy, or Baylor over UAB, which I think might be a mistake. This is a great program. The residents here are extremely happy, and clinical didactics is strong point. Residents work at UAB hospital, Cooper Green (public, much like Grady), and the VA, all of which are within walking distance of each other. The catchment area includes all of AL, MS, and the FL panhandle, and parts of TN and GA.

Neuroscience research has been strong here for some time, but it mostly has been outside the clinical departments, which is changing. Last year we successfully competed for a Neuroscience Blueprint Center Core grant along with La Jolla and Minnesota. The grant reflects a new synthesis of research investment between Psychiatry, Neurology, Neurobiology, and Neuropathology, all of whom have had changes in leadership over the last several years. UAB has a new dean of medicine (from Emory) who recruited a new Chair for Neuro (from Emory), who has in turn recruited the movement disorders division director from Harvard and a neurointensivist from JHU, both of whom are MD/PhDs.

Anyway, the program is not without faults, but I would certainly consider it highly if you are looking in the south. I've lived in Nashville and ATL and Birmingham does offer some of what those cities have (though obviously not all) but it's way easier to live here than either of those places.

UAB is definitely high on my list from all the things I've heard and read. There's an R2 there from UTSW that I met at a SIGN meeting after he matched and he was really excited about the program. What's housing like near the medical center? Are the neighborhoods safe?

Yes I know that R2, he's a good guy. UAB is in the south part of downtown. The area around UAB is pretty safe, made up of a hodgepodge neighborhood called Southside that houses a lot of undergrads and graduate students. UAB is a residential campus for undergrads so police are all over the place. Most residents live in Homewood (more expensive, very good schools, nicer places) or Crestwood / Crestline (cheaper, Bham schools, more gentrification + fixer/uppers). I live in Crestood about 4mi / 10min away. Farther out you have Mountain Brook (major $$$ accessible only by attendings) and Vestavia / Hoover (requires commutes). Downtown has a lot of lofts / condo type development. Generally most crime occurs in North Birmingham, but I don't know of anyone who lives there.

I can't speak about most of the other programs on your list, but I feel that Washington University in St. Louis is really a fantastic program. When I came here for an interview I was very impressed with the PD and the chair who both have very down-to-earth personalities but were obviously excellent neurologists with large research programs behind them. When I started here, I found that to be true for many other faculty members. Given the obvious breadth of the department, WashU has strengths in everything and this also makes for a complete all-around training and opportunities. Also, I love the other residents in my program who are all down-to-earth fun-loving but at the same time serious and caring doctors.

One of the aspects of WashU that impressed me the most was in fact St. Louis and the hospital itself. St. Louis is not your exciting city, like New York, Chicago, LA, etc, but it is very liveable, affordable (particularly on a resident's salary starting a family), and the weather is quite nice year-round (compared to the first two of those cities at least). The hospital itself is part of one of the nicest communities in St Louis with great living options, restaurants, even shopping (recently, a new high-rise condo building was built 1 block away, and others are in the works).

The best thing about the hospital, however, is the patient population. We get patients who don't have insurance, patients who are extremely wealthy, and everything in between, including refugees since St. Louis is one of the major refugee cities in the US. I can't begin to comment on the impressive diversity of patients seen here. Furthermore, since BJH is by far the largest hospital for 300 miles going north, and 400-500 going south and west, we get a great share of fascinomas while having to deal with bread and butter through our indigent population. I would be willing to bet that WashU patients represent a greater breadth of neurological disease and presentations than the vast majority of other top neurology programs.

Finally, a great unique aspect of the program is that as a PGY-2, you learn to evaluate acute stroke in the ED alone, read the head CT, and then decide on tPA with nothing more than a chief resident over the phone confirming your decision. This type of training is priceless since it puts you on the frontline and pressures you to make the decision--decisions that will certainly become more prevalent and important as stroke care advances in the future. WashU apparently has been demonstrating excellent tPA numbers, and in large part due to this resident-delivery program. I would be curious to know about any other residencies that are doing this also.

Overall, our program is front-loaded with heavy emphasis on excellent training during the PGY-2 year, then two years to allow you to explore the breadth of the department to develop your own career--whether it be academic or not. St. Louis is an excellent city to live in as a resident given its affordability, airport accessibility, great community surrounding the hospital, and weather. Please PM me if you have any questions about this program.

B

Would you please comment on The neuro program in st. louis University?

Thanks