Residency program cut-off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fernj75

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the fact that a orthopaedic residency program has downloaded your application have any significance? Does is mean you have met their requirements (USMLE score, etc... ) or do all the applicants get their files downloaded?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't read much into that -- they may have to download your application to see the information, but the exact details I do not know.

I don't think just downloading your stuff means that you have made the cut off. I talked to the chair of Ortho at my school, (middle of top tier, academic program), and he told me straight up: cut off is 230 for step 1. He says its unjust, but even with that cut off, he still gets too many overly qualified applicants. He said they have interviewed 2 students below 230, and thats because they went here and were very strong otherwise...he didn't mention if they actually matched or not.

I concur. I go to a UC. Res Diredtor said our cutoff is 235 this year because of the same thing scooter guy said. Last year it was 230. And anothet UC I know will not match You unless AOA.