Residency Presentation Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drugdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have done a residency presentation (during interviews), what did you do yours on? Generally, was it a more basic overview of something, or did it go in depth about a more specific topic? Did you use a previous presentation from a rotation, or did you come up with something new?? Thanks, in advance! Right now I'm just starting to think about a topic...

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have done a residency presentation (during interviews), what did you do yours on? Generally, was it a more basic overview of something, or did it go in depth about a more specific topic? Did you use a previous presentation from a rotation, or did you come up with something new?? Thanks, in advance! Right now I'm just starting to think about a topic...

My advice: #1- Refrain from choosing a topic that is very broad, like diabetes, hypertension, CAP, etc. These topics are dreadfully boring and have been done millions of times. #2- Pick something you are interested in. #3- Have your presentation critiqued by a professor before your interview.

Use a presentation that you are comfortable giving. The topic really doesn't matter. What they are looking for is how you put the presentation together, how you present, and how you handle questions.

Out of the 7 interviews I went to, only 1 made me a presentation for PGY1. Oddly, none of my PGY2 interviews made me present.

Members don't see this ad :)

How about "Changing physicians' orders: Should we or should we not?"
I am only kidding....

keep it simple.

I would definitely pull something from a previous rotation. I did not have to do a presentation for my PGY1 but I did have to for my PGY2. I picked a CE presentation and tried to wittle it down to 15-20 minutes which was difficult.

I would recommend picking a somewhat controversial topic that will spark conversation -> beta blocker use in cocaine-induced MI, therapeutic hypothermia, tPA use > 3 hours post-stroke sxs, bascially situations in which standard of care hasn't been fully elucidated. I agree that topics should not be overwhelmingly broad, but not something that is extremely rare or too specific. Know your audience. Is there an expert present? Do you feel comfortable enough with your material to speak on a topic in which they specialize in? Is the presentation recent? Have any interesting pubs on the topic been released since you prepared that presentation?

While the material contained within the presentation should be accurate, your presentation style plays a big part as well. Pick a presentation in which you know the material well and have a good understanding.

Good luck! I feel that doing a PGY1 residency was the best decision I ever made. I know you will enjoy it!

I was told not to anything associated with any controversy. For PGY-2 I did Status Epilepticus. Of course I didn't realize that one of my interview locations had 3 dedicatd neurosurgical ICU pharmacists :-x

What percent of residency programs do you think require presentations on the interview?

Thanks

none of my PGY1s required a presentation - wait, out of 11, one required a journal club.

4/5 PGY2 required a presentation varying from 20-60 minutes.

2 (at least) of the ones that I plan to apply to have presentations!

Use a presentation that you are comfortable giving. The topic really doesn't matter. What they are looking for is how you put the presentation together, how you present, and how you handle questions.

Out of the 7 interviews I went to, only 1 made me a presentation for PGY1. Oddly, none of my PGY2 interviews made me present.

What are the usual guidelines for the presentation? Could it be pharmacogenomic/genotyping/PK related? or are they looking for something that is more directly clinically relevant?

What are the usual guidelines for the presentation? Could it be pharmacogenomic/genotyping/PK related? or are they looking for something that is more directly clinically relevant?

I believe it depends on the institution - they will specify what they want, if they have a preference.

5/7 of my PGY1 interviews last year required 15 minute presentations. They specified that it was a topic of my choice...Interestingly enough, you can sit it on the other candidate presentations and it was surprising how many were bland and basic (HTN, MRSA etc). Be unique and pick a topic that can generate some discussion!

None of the 9 PGY1 programs I interviewed with required a presentation, 1 of 4 of my PGY2 interviews required a presentation (20-30 minutes in length).

75% of programs have presentation requirement. All of my interviews required me to do a 10-15 min presentation on a pharmacy related topic. My professors all told me to just choose one of my presentations from rotations (you should have done several presentation in your rotation by now) and to shorten it to fit the 10min time frame.

But if your residency program allows you to choose any topic, I recommend to do a fun and random topic thats interesting to you. My friend did an interview with the Veteran Affair and she did her topic on "Adventures of being a RA (resident advisor) of a dorm". It was fun and it allowed her to be enthusiastic about her topic.... the residents loved her.. and Now she's doing her residency with the VA.