Residency posts in O&G and IMG friendly hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OVERCOMER

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Dear Colleagues,

I am an IMG and i am very much interested in O&G, i am determined to get a slot but i need good and good advice. I am planning to complete my exams next year (including step 3) and will be vying for the 2006 program so my questions are these:

1) what range of scores will put me at a good standing to be matched?
2) will i as an IMG even get a chance and be matched at all?
3) what hospitals are IMG friendly for O&G?
4) will doing a month or two of observership before interviews be of any help? and if so which hospitals do you recommend?

Your responses are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

OVERCOMER

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer your questions specifically, although I am in the same boat. We're lucky that applications have been going down recently; last year was the lowest # of app's in a long time.

In my IMG program people have entered the Match for obgyn and gotten slots. One even got his top choice at a prestigious academic inistution. Not what I want, but its encouraging.

My advice is do the best you can on the boards. I don't knwow hat you mean about observership. Can you do a month of elctive rotations somewhere? I'm covered for malpractice insurance but that s often a problem for IMGs. Some places cover visiting students--I know Baylor in Texas does. And schools that charge tutition (pretty much all the ivies) also often cover your malpractice with that huge fee.

I've noticed that lots of Pennsylvania programs have a high rate of IMGs, not surprising considering the problems with malpractice coverage in that state.

Anyway, good luck!

OB-GYN has become easier to get into for IMGs recently due to applicant worries about life style, malpractice rates, and other relating factors. As with any specialty good scores help and you should aim for the highest score possible, but based on my experience (myself and friends) scores over 200 have gotten interviews.

As for observerships, it definitely will help your case. Alot of times programs do not know of your program, the educational quality, and more importantly your work ethic. It is always a good idea to schedule a couple around Sept-Dec and hope to land a courtesy interview (at the least) while you're at the institution. I would be careful with several states, namely the ones that Zavideh mantioned. You can NOT do a rotation in the state of Texas (as an IMG) if you wish to practice there as a resident and afterwards. This has been a rule in effect until recently, so make sure you check on it before setting up an observership. Also, states such as California, New Mexico, Colorado, Indiana, etc have strict guidelines for IMG students doing observerships, so make sure you do your research.

Good luck with the process and the upcoming year!

Members don't see this ad :)
global, you CAN do a rotation in texas, but you must be enrolled as a visiting student at a texas med school while you are there.

make sure that you meet this requirement if you work in texas. texas is giving lots of trouble to carib schools now, so be careful.

Long time no talk Neil :D Hope all is well at your end of the globe!

I hope you are right, but as I stated above, until recently, Texas rule was that if you are an IMG intending to do residency or practice in that state, then you must meet several criterion, two of which are a Neurology rotation in medical school and NO rotations as a medical student in the state.

Anyway, if this is out dated and I am wrong, then I stand corrected.

By the way, how are things going with you and setting up rotations? Good luck the rest of the way!

yep, all is well with me! just finished my rotation at UCI, had a blast! still checking out possibilities for ob/gyn rotations, though. i am on limited time, so i have to make it count!

anyhow, the rule is that you can do rotations in texas, but you must be enrolled as a visiting student. this seems to eliminate the carib schools, which typically pay the hospital for a spot. if you go through the med school, and they enroll you as a visiting student, it is fine. the net effect of this rule is to screw the carib students, and protect the students that visit from med schools that have relationships with the texas med schools. ie, the german, UK, and others will not have a problem with this, as they are basically exchange students.

so, the big day is almost upon you! best of luck with your upcoming internship. it will be a blast! hope you are not too busy to come back and visit us underclassman once in a while, to give us some updates....

Thanks for clearing the rules up. Good luck with the remainder of the rotations.

I will definitely update y'all... Monday is "The" day and luckily enough I start off with Gyn. Have a great one and talk to you later.

Hi. I am trying to plan my electives (about 8 months off) and have run into problems with some institutions and IMGs. They clearly state they'll take elective students but not IMGs (surprise, surprise). Some say they will take you, but only if you have a member of faculty willing to look after you (as if I'm going to spill my milk & cookies on the new rug). Any ideas?

Any IMGs out there done electives (or residencies) at hospitals in the Pacific or Mountain regions (going by FRIEDA's zones)? Specifically Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, Washington, etc?

Is there a chance that they just SAY that, but are actually willing to talk to us? I don't know any members of faculty anywhere, but I'm not special ed and willing to work hard...

Any help would be great.
Thanks.