residency placements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engg06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

I searched through the ABP site and could not find the residency placements for people graduating from the irish schools and comming to US for residencies.

Can anyone post the residency placement list for the last few years!!!

I am deciding between Carribean( SGU, ROSS ) and Ireland. Does anyone have any links that can lead me to a discussion about this. I am preety sure this discussion has already taken place before. Or i would appreciate any opinions, any pros and cons.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it has, with no result. Simply because AB doesn't publish a list of residency matches. It would be very useful if they did, perhaps students here can start getting a list or something going. Of course, it wouldn't be available in the very near future. Just as a general list, people have gotten accepted into places like Mayo before, but I don't know a list. We can try to ask around and find out. I know some people last year went to Univ. of Cincinnati, not sure what field.

So noone knowz!! You guys just go there fo the medical education without knowing if you can get a decent residency??????? Carribean schools post the residency placements, i wonder why irish schools dont!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's why it's called reputation. Everyone knows that there are a lot of Irish docs practicing in the US and that their education has allowed them to achieve a high level of competence. You forget that a lot of Caribbean institutions exist solely as an alternative means to get to the US, and their curricula/programs are tailored to cater to US students. Not so with the Irish schools naturally. They don't exist just so that their graduates can get into to US programs, so why would they focus on gathering/publicizing US residencies? AB is just a middle man for North American students to attend Irish schools. They are not involved in the process of us getting back into the US - that is for ourselves to work on. While I think if they publicized a residency list it would be immensely helpful, this probably isn't one of their priorities.

Having said this, I have heard that a list does exist and when I get my hands on it then I will make it known.

leorl said:
That's why it's called reputation. Everyone knows that there are a lot of Irish docs practicing in the US and that their education has allowed them to achieve a high level of competence. You forget that a lot of Caribbean institutions exist solely as an alternative means to get to the US, and their curricula/programs are tailored to cater to US students. Not so with the Irish schools naturally. They don't exist just so that their graduates can get into to US programs, so why would they focus on gathering/publicizing US residencies? AB is just a middle man for North American students to attend Irish schools. They are not involved in the process of us getting back into the US - that is for ourselves to work on. While I think if they publicized a residency list it would be immensely helpful, this probably isn't one of their priorities.

Having said this, I have heard that a list does exist and when I get my hands on it then I will make it known.

I disagree. After all, the programs for foreign students are major moneymakers for the Irish (and all other European) med schools (if they would be free, we wouldn't be discussing this).

IMO, investing in an education is identical to any other purchase. The buyer wants to know what they'll get for their money.

Further, AB acts in the same capacity as most any other agent or foreign med school when it comes to recruiting North American med. students.

Therefore, why shouldn't the potential applicant know what the Irish education is worth in terms of residencies obtained by past graduates?

Here is a incomplete list from RCSI Class of 2004. It is legit!

Anesthesiology (UCSF -match)
Emergency Medicine (Albert Einstein NY - scramble)
Emergency Medicine (Orlando Regional -match)
Family Medicine (Duke -match)
Family Medicine (Abington Memorial, Philadelphia - outside match)
General Surgery-Categorical (Mayo Clinic -match)/Prelim-some Cincinatti Hospital-scramble, Prelim-Orlando Regional-scramble

Internal Medicine (Georgetown -match)
Internal Medicine (U of New Mexico -match)
Obstetrics and Gynecology (Mayo Clinic-match)
Pediatrics (Children's National Medical Center, George Washington University - match)
Pathology (U Virginia - outside match)

other years include (just to name a few)-
Arkansas-Categorical Surgery
Harvard-IM
Albany-Peds
Vanderbilt-Anesthesia
Yale-IM
USF-ENT
Arizona-Surgery
Wash Univ-EM
Brown-EM
hope it helps......

Impressive list. Most of them are probably US citizens though...
Is it safe to assume that the other Irish schools have a comparable list?