Residency Location Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndstepno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question about residency biases in terms of the school you attend, for example will someone from NYCPM have a hard time getting a residency in the Midwest? I'm sure certain residency programs are filled with their regional-affiliated school, but I was just looking for any input anyone has heard or encountered.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a question about residency biases in terms of the school you attend, for example will someone from NYCPM have a hard time getting a residency in the Midwest? I'm sure certain residency programs are filled with their regional-affiliated school, but I was just looking for any input anyone has heard or encountered.
To add to what AnkleBreaker said, the biggest reason residencies end up with students from a nearby school is because the students wanted to stay in that area to begin with (hence why they went to school there to begin with). That and some schools have rotations through hospitals as part of the curriculum which means students get earlier exposure to that hospital and director/residents. But you can match almost anywhere from any of the schools.