Residency Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxRai2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How should I get ready for my residency interview besides looking at all possible information related to the program. I've heard you get asked clinical questions any truth to that? What should I wear. How do I make myself standout from other residents and land the residency? What about letter of intent how long should it be and what should it contain I have an idea but would appreciate other people's feedback. Thanks SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

How should I get ready for my residency interview besides looking at all possible information related to the program.

Come with questions to ask everyone you talk with at the interview. See if any of the preceptors there have published anything noteworthy.

I've heard you get asked clinical questions any truth to that?
Yes.

What should I wear.

A suit. Dress conservatively.

How do I make myself standout from other residents and land the residency?

Be confident in your answers. Don't guess at anything you don't know, but also don't be afraid to ask if you can take a (quick) minute to think of an answer if it's a question about yourself or how you'd respond to something. Be prepared. Show genuine interest. Ask questions. Be attentive. Know your CV inside and out, because whatever is on there is fair game. Know yourself, your strengths and weaknesses and how to improve those weaknesses. Learn to anticipate potential questions so that you can be prepared to answer.

What about letter of intent how long should it be and what should it contain I have an idea but would appreciate other people's feedback. Thanks SDN!

I've already addressed this in a thread in this subforum recently. I even pretty much typed out a generic one. And not to be mean, but watch your grammar and punctuation in a letter of intent. In this post of yours, it was sometimes hard for me to decipher when a new sentence began without having to read it multiple times.

This is off-topic, but didn't want to make a new thread. I noticed some residency program applications did not list a blank for 'ASHP match number ___________' but others did. For those that didn't, when will they get your match number? Do they ask for it at during the interview? If they don't, when is the best time to let the programs know about your number if they didn't have it already?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is off-topic, but didn't want to make a new thread. I noticed some residency program applications did not list a blank for 'ASHP match number ___________' but others did. For those that didn't, when will they get your match number? Do they ask for it at during the interview? If they don't, when is the best time to let the programs know about your number if they didn't have it already?

I have seen some programs that ask for it on your CV.

They can look it up. When they go to log into the matching system, they can search for an applicant by name. The biggest concern for them not getting it right is if you have a common name....John Smith, Jenny Chen.

I put my match number on my letter of intent and CV. On my letter of intent, it went under my signature. On my CV, it was part of the footer.

Thanks for your responses. Darn! I already mailed in all my apps. I just realized I did not mention my match # on neither the intent nor CV. I know they will just look it up, but I like to have things complete and ready. I knew I was missing something in my envelope!

I didn't have my match # in time for apps last year. I just gave it out at interviews/e-mailed it to directors later

Thanks for your responses. Darn! I already mailed in all my apps. I just realized I did not mention my match # on neither the intent nor CV. I know they will just look it up, but I like to have things complete and ready. I knew I was missing something in my envelope!

you already turned in all your apps?! dang, how many schools did you apply to?

i havent gotten my transcripts or letters of rec yet, still waiting on em :thumbdown:

you already turned in all your apps?! dang, how many schools did you apply to?

i havent gotten my transcripts or letters of rec yet, still waiting on em :thumbdown:

Yes, I turned in all my apps already, I applied to 6 programs. I'm still waiting on my letter of recs too, but they're going to mail them on their own. I just sent in my app, CV, letter, transcripts, etc.

Don't worry, you still have time :) I turned mine in because I honestly was done working on them. I have read them over and over again and everytime I did, found something to fix so it was time to let it go.

Is that match number the applicant Code Number that was emailed to you after paying on the national matching services website? I got mine in an email the day after I paid, I just wanted to double check because during a lot of Q&A's at local residency information sessions, everyone said register early because it takes a while to get your match number.

Is that match number the applicant Code Number that was emailed to you after paying on the national matching services website? I got mine in an email the day after I paid, I just wanted to double check because during a lot of Q&A's at local residency information sessions, everyone said register early because it takes a while to get your match number.

I think it is. It's a 5-digit code # right? I got mine in my email too, I believe that's what it is.

Is it usually hard to get a match #? I got mine almost immediately after I registered.

For general residency interviews, what have past residents chosen for the 15-20 minute presentations? Journal club, how about a patient case presenation? I am sure if you choose a case presenation, you will HAVE to shorten it up because of the time limit. Maybe journal club is a better choice to go with, since that usually takes up 15-18 minutes at most.

Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhat relevant question to this thread:

For the current residents out there - how soon after the application deadline did you get invites to interview? If you never hear anything at all, do you follow up with the program? Or should you assume that you are not being invited?

I'm new to the process and now also 1.5 years out of school, so any guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Somewhat relevant question to this thread:

For the current residents out there - how soon after the application deadline did you get invites to interview? If you never hear anything at all, do you follow up with the program? Or should you assume that you are not being invited?

I'm new to the process and now also 1.5 years out of school, so any guidance is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Most programs start offering interviews in mid-January.

For these interviews, what do prospective residents choose to do their presentation on? Past journal clubs or case presentations? For 15-20 minute presentations, I'd think journal clubs are more suitable? I want to present a journal club I did on a previous rotation. I hope they won't ask me too many hard questions after it though :p

Do you receive interview invites via email, snail mail, or phone?
If you do not get an interview do the programs let you know that as well?

How should I get ready for my residency interview besides looking at all possible information related to the program. I've heard you get asked clinical questions any truth to that? What should I wear. How do I make myself standout from other residents and land the residency? What about letter of intent how long should it be and what should it contain I have an idea but would appreciate other people's feedback. Thanks SDN!

Just wanted to add that I was asked a clinical question during a PPS interview! It was a tough one too - I had to guess at the answer. I had mentioned that critical care was one of my favorite rotations, which it was, but I have now been practicing in retail for 1.5 years and was asked about a drug used for sedation during mechanical ventilation - which I have not dealt with in the 2 years since that rotation. Sooo a tip: If you're going to say you liked a certain rotation, you had better do a review on that subject before your interviews. Or at least have a couple of interesting cases or issues to discuss. As previously mentioned, that CV is fair game!

Do you receive interview invites via email, snail mail, or phone?
If you do not get an interview do the programs let you know that as well?

last year I got interviews via phone and e-mail. Rejections via e-mail (and a letter from 1 place)

Do all programs require a presentation? Some programs I'm applying to specifically mention that each candidate must give a short presentation. Other programs don't mention it on their website. Thanks!

Do all programs require a presentation? Some programs I'm applying to specifically mention that each candidate must give a short presentation. Other programs don't mention it on their website. Thanks!

Interviews at 6 places for PGY1 and only had to present at 1. For PGY2, none of the 4 programs required me to present.

Just wanted to add that I was asked a clinical question during a PPS interview! It was a tough one too - I had to guess at the answer.

Advice: While true that you should have some inkling about topics related to your area(s) of interest, if asked a clinical question during interviews, do NOT guess an answer if you aren't sure. Most of the time, they're trying to see how you develop an answer as well as what you'd do under pressure in a situation where you don't know an answer. In real life (and especially in acute care), you want to be sure that the answer you provide to other healthcare professionals is your best answer.

Advice: While true that you should have some inkling about topics related to your area(s) of interest, if asked a clinical question during interviews, do NOT guess an answer if you aren't sure. Most of the time, they're trying to see how you develop an answer as well as what you'd do under pressure in a situation where you don't know an answer. In real life (and especially in acute care), you want to be sure that the answer you provide to other healthcare professionals is your best answer.

I do agree with your point here. In hindsight, I can think of 10 different ways I could have handled the question better, including just admitting I only knew about 1 of the drugs they were asking me about. I think I just panicked because I thought they were judging me on knowledge base, because I'm not a student, rather than my thought process on answering the question. I talked about this with one of my professors after the interview and she also reiterated that having a plan to figure out the answer is better than guessing at something you aren't familiar with. It's just a stressful situation to be in, because of course, we all want to look like we know what they're talking about! Just a tip - maybe review your DI resources? I.e. What you can find on Micromedex vs in Trissels vs Kings vs Orange Book.

Also, in my defense, in "real life", I would never guess at an answer to a clinical question. : )

Quick question about interviews. I set up my first interview. The director of the program told me she'll give me the itinerary the morning of the interview? Is that normal? I won't know who is interviewing me thus I can't look up info. about each person to ask questions.

Stupid question probably but do you address all of the people you meet in the interview as "Doctor xyz"? I think this would be confusing as not all pharmacists may be a PharmD? Also, if it is a place you did a rotation and you feel comfortable with the people, can you use first names EX) Hi xyz etc. What are your thoughts?

Stupid question probably but do you address all of the people you meet in the interview as "Doctor xyz"? I think this would be confusing as not all pharmacists may be a PharmD? Also, if it is a place you did a rotation and you feel comfortable with the people, can you use first names EX) Hi xyz etc. What are your thoughts?

I have never addressed any of my interviewer for residency or job as "Doctor xyz." Pretend for moment you work there already, would you address your coworker as "Doctor xyz" or by first name? For interviews, you want to give the impression that you belong already.

Of course, if you know for a fact, the person wants to be addressed as Doctor xyz, then do so. Usually, they introduce themselves as "Hi, I am Dr. XYZ."

I've heard you get asked clinical questions any truth to that? What should I wear. How do I make myself standout from other residents and land the residency? What about letter of intent how long should it be and what should it contain I have an idea but would appreciate other people's feedback. Thanks SDN!

Majority times, you don't get a clinical question out of the blue. The clinical question ties closely with something you have said, or what is assumed you should have knowledge of, given what you said. Most times, it comes during Q&A session at the the end of your presentation.

In summary, the clinical question is sync'ed with your conversation/presentation.

Most people wear a suit. Some people wear professional casual.

Letter of intent is 1-2 pages. It should briefly introduce you are, explain why you want a residency, what you want to achieve from it, and why place X is a great match for your interest, +/- any plans after residency. Lastly, conclude with something polite.