Residency Interview "Memory Sheet" for recording important stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthogenes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a sheet for self reflection after interviews? I was going to make one for myself and then realized someone might have something already out there.

I'm thinking simple, like program name, general impression, notable people, feelings about the city, nearby things to do, then program stuff like special rotations, benefits, etc.

Or even if there isn't a sheet out there already, is there anything you wished you wrote down after each interview?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It won't matter what you write down after your interviews because at the end of the day you will go with your gut when you make the rank list. It is a much more emotional choice than a cerebral choice because there are too many unknown variables.

I ranked my programs into tiers after my interviews, high, middle and low then adjusted them against each other and it made the decision making a lot easier. Took almost no notes from the interviews and would do it again the same way.

Reactions: 1 users
It won't matter what you write down after your interviews because at the end of the day you will go with your gut when you make the rank list. It is a much more emotional choice than a cerebral choice because there are too many unknown variables.

I ranked my programs into tiers after my interviews, high, middle and low then adjusted them against each other and it made the decision making a lot easier. Took almost no notes from the interviews and would do it again the same way.

I agree with the idea that you go based on your gut, but I do think it's important to write down impressions after interviews, because when you go to make your rank list, sometimes you forget things that you experienced/saw/care about at those places (things like... oh, this program has a terrible boards pass rate, or several of the residents were weird, etc).

Also, there may be multiple programs where you think you would do well, and you enjoy, and those little things that distinguish the program may be the way to favor one program over another.

I generally just wrote a paragraph of my impressions after the interview. I had a spreadsheet that I used prior to the interview to compare things on a more cerebral/factual level, and used it to some degree to differentiate the middle programs, but my top and bottom were based on gut feeling.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a sheet for self reflection after interviews? I was going to make one for myself and then realized someone might have something already out there.

I'm thinking simple, like program name, general impression, notable people, feelings about the city, nearby things to do, then program stuff like special rotations, benefits, etc.

Or even if there isn't a sheet out there already, is there anything you wished you wrote down after each interview?

Thanks!

I used an app on my phone that was specific for pediatrics, but you might be able to find one for your specialty or a general residency one. I hate making spreadsheets or taking notes so I just assigned numbers on the app of various factors and then let it give me a score after I was done. The scores mostly lined up with my rank list, but I still made a few tweaks to take into account my geographic preferences.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the idea that you go based on your gut, but I do think it's important to write down impressions after interviews, because when you go to make your rank list, sometimes you forget things that you experienced/saw/care about at those places (things like... oh, this program has a terrible boards pass rate, or several of the residents were weird, etc).

Also, there may be multiple programs where you think you would do well, and you enjoy, and those little things that distinguish the program may be the way to favor one program over another.

I generally just wrote a paragraph of my impressions after the interview. I had a spreadsheet that I used prior to the interview to compare things on a more cerebral/factual level, and used it to some degree to differentiate the middle programs, but my top and bottom were based on gut feeling.
Thank you!

Download NRMP Match Prism from the App Store. It gives you a place to log your impressions based on factors they've chosen like fellowship placement and location and ranks programs based on your impressions. That being said, I could totally see it coming down to your own gut feelings. It's main use so far is a log for all my IIs so I know what dates I'm occupied.

Reactions: 1 user
I wrote stuff down after interviews but never went back to the notes.

Ultimately, you'll remember the places that stood out and you'll remember the (hopefully few) places that rubbed you the wrong way. You'll also remember **** that you would think doesn't matter but makes an impression. For instance, I will always remember how one of the programs I interviewed at served instant coffee, which struck me as "I don't give a ****" level cheap.

Come rank list deadline, as others have said you will make a decision mainly based on an emotional gestalt. You will kind of have tiers based on the concrete stuff but between those you just choose based on what places gave you the best feeling (and it is this decision which usually determines where people end up anyway).