Residency in Britain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NarcissaBlack

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I plan to attend a Medical School in England in the future... how long will my residency be?

Also, I need to know the salary for a Cardiovascular Surgeon in England.... I already know that they make $852,717 here in America, but I need to know for Britain. Any helps?

Members don't see this ad.

There are some issues here. Firstly, even if you graduate from a medical school in England, if you are non-UK or non-EU even, you may have a difficult time progressing to a residency stage. This is because at the moment, there is an oversupply of doctors / junior doctor positions in the UK, and not enough SHO / registrar / consultancy posts available. Secondly, you seem very money driven. I can't imagine 852,717 being the mean figure for cv surgeons... that would be at the very top end. The mean would probably be more like 300-400,000.

Secondly, with regards to the UK salary, I think someone else said it before. Do your own research. You might be able to find it using a google search. If not, then hit the websites of specific british organizations. If that doesn't work, visit the site I gave you before which a lot of UK students post to.