residency in a different place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dara678

Hello Kitty Fan
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i am currently going to med school in california, but i'd like to move to chicago or somewhere on the east coast (nyc/boston/philly/dc etc) for residency. do you think that being from a california school will hurt my chances? my program isn't one of the best (usc-keck) but it's still well-known in california. i am wondering what my chances are elsewhere especially since my significant other is in the process of looking for job, and he needs to know where to look ...

Members don't see this ad.

i'm so sad no one has responded ... :(

Don't be sad.

Peds is not so competitive that the med school of origin matters very much. With such a broad list of cities I'm sure you will match at an above-average program. California doesn't hurt at all, actually probably helps as I could see some programs wanting some geographic diversity, especially here on the east coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks MM9!! :)

Know that people WILL ask you if you are serious about leaving CA. I heard that question constantly in regards to TX.