Residency Electives for Canadian Residents in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pattycanuck

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

ie. going to the US for electives as a Canadian resident

I have time on this, but I wanted to get the ball rolling on info gathering on this now: I have 2-1 month electives based at the end of my Family Medicine Residency and I was wondering if anyone here who is or has been a resident has had success in doing so. I may also be able to do my 2 subspecialty medicine selectives (1 month each) elsewhere if I can arrange it.

At this point, I'd like to consider more of a location rather than type of elective as I am in Family and want the best social experience :D :D (I am a Family Resident anyway and aren't we supposed to be fun and laid back eh?). I am at this time thinking of doing something in Hawai'i or Florida as I have lots of relations in both places :thumbup: . 2 months would be great, but a total of 4 months (electives and medical selectives) would be better!

Any general suggestions? I would think starting this earlier than later, but also, is there any specific things that would have to be done in regard to licencing and insurance?

PC

Members don't see this ad.