Residency competitiveness for IM with a 218 on STEP 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaginMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question but I made a 218 on STEP 1 (about 20 points lower than my practice exams, I got screwed), anyway, now that I have accepted this score, what IM programs would be completely out of reach for internal med? I was looking at Chicago and they all seem super competitive. Seattle also seems like it would be out of reach. I also really liked Missouri and North Carolina and Portland. I know I will probably get into a place in my home state (Louisiana) but my boyfriend is applying now and I'm trying to explain to him that we should still look at places together, but now I have to take into account that I did way worse than him and I'm less competitive as an applicant. Trying to find cities that have multiple programs for IM so that my chances are better and I'll also be doing aways at whichever program he goes to.

So anyway, what places should I look at and what is probably not possible for IM with a 218?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe this is a stupid question but I made a 218 on STEP 1 (about 20 points lower than my practice exams, I got screwed), anyway, now that I have accepted this score, what IM programs would be completely out of reach for internal med? I was looking at Chicago and they all seem super competitive. Seattle also seems like it would be out of reach. I also really liked Missouri and North Carolina and Portland. I know I will probably get into a place in my home state (Louisiana) but my boyfriend is applying now and I'm trying to explain to him that we should still look at places together, but now I have to take into account that I did way worse than him and I'm less competitive as an applicant. Trying to find cities that have multiple programs for IM so that my chances are better and I'll also be doing aways at whichever program he goes to.

So anyway, what places should I look at and what is probably not possible for IM with a 218?

Official Eternal IM WAMC Thread

Don't know why you'd spend a much of time dealing with the nihilists in here when you can go to the IM forum and ask people who might have modicum of a helpful/informed/interested opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
I recommend you meet with an IM advisor person at your school. They will 1. have worked with students with all kinds of step scores in the past; 2. be able to assess your entire application, 3. be able to offer personal advice based on your SO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, we need the entire app to give meaningful advice. You likely need some other huge positive to offset that, like a lot of research or coming from a top 20 school.

Top tier university programs are out of reach. Mid tier is a 50/50. You are ok for low tier university and community programs...

Official Eternal IM WAMC Thread

Don't know why you'd spend a much of time dealing with the nihilists in here when you can go to the IM forum and ask people who might have modicum of a helpful/informed/interested opinion.

Most of the answers here tend to be
- why are you even doing medicine anyway, become an NP, that’s where the real money is
- ugh I hate taking care of patients and am sooooooo burnt out how do I apply for radiology/path/quit people suck
- help my score is 260 and I’m not sure I’ll grt Harvard Derm my life is over

Reactions: 6 users