Residency Application Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mitch Connor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am an OMS3 and I am trying to put together a coherent application strategy. I am on the fence between FM and IM. Looking at the NRMP data FM and IM matches need 14 and 13 contiguous ranks respectively and I have been told that I should double that number for applications to ensure enough interviews.

Here are the questions:

Let's just say that FM and IM require the same numbers to match; 14 ranks so that means 28 or so applications minimum.

1. Can I get away with splitting that evenly between FM and IM and still have a good chance at matching into either? Or would that strategy be spread too thinly for either specialty?

2. Is it best to to focus on one of them?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the general advice is to pick a field and focus on that when they are fairly similar. Otherwise you end up with having to do 2 personal statements and make sure you keep essentially 2 separate applications and interview schedules straight in your head.

That's not to say you can't do it and succeed at it, but its just tougher on you.

Have you had rotations in both fields this year and how were they set up? I ask because the idea is to have good solid rotations in both which should help you make up your mind.

I recall you being a student at VCOM-Auburn. I don't know how difficult it would be, but my office takes students from a different VCOM campus. We're a pretty good example of outpatient FM at its best. Come rotate here, if you like it go FM. If you don't, go IM.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe the general advice is to pick a field and focus on that when they are fairly similar. Otherwise you end up with having to do 2 personal statements and make sure you keep essentially 2 separate applications and interview schedules straight in your head.

That's not to say you can't do it and succeed at it, but its just tougher on you.

Have you had rotations in both fields this year and how were they set up? I ask because the idea is to have good solid rotations in both which should help you make up your mind.

I recall you being a student at VCOM-Auburn. I don't know how difficult it would be, but my office takes students from a different VCOM campus. We're a pretty good example of outpatient FM at its best. Come rotate here, if you like it go FM. If you don't, go IM.
Thank you very much for the invitation and the advice. I have had FM and it had an inpatient component, am currently on IM2 as outpt and will be on IM1 inpatient very soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that it's unlikely that the application and interview process itself is going to make your mind clearer about IM vs FM. Neither is terribly competitive if you ignore the large academic IM spots, so I would pick one and focus on having the best application possible for that.

What makes you split between the two?

I would say that it's unlikely that the application and interview process itself is going to make your mind clearer about IM vs FM. Neither is terribly competitive if you ignore the large academic IM spots, so I would pick one and focus on having the best application possible for that.

What makes you split between the two?
Thank you. I suppose it comes down to flexibility. FM doesn't lock me into a single population like IM seems to (adults only). On the other hand IM opens many more doors if I find I am unsatisfied with general medicine. In the end I want to be a well rounded physician and I think both routes can offer that.

Thoughts?

Thank you. I suppose it comes down to flexibility. FM doesn't lock me into a single population like IM seems to (adults only). On the other hand IM opens many more doors if I find I am unsatisfied with general medicine. In the end I want to be a well rounded physician and I think both routes can offer that.

Thoughts?
Fair assessment, I would add that FM also has a lot of options if you don't want to be a PCP or hospitalist that people don't think of. Sports med, palliative care, addiction med, geriatrics/nursing home, can also do more admin type stuff if that's your interest. Some people are doing derm/cosmetic stuff, some people are doing direct primary care to get away from the insurance grind, I know one guy who does wound care and hyperbaric medicine. Obviously different types of "specialization" compared to like GI or endocrine, but there are lots of family docs out there doing lots of niche stuff.

Thoughts?
Flexibility is why I’ve ultimately chosen FM (OMS-3 here too). My intention right now is to be an FM hospitalist, but I like the idea that FM would allow me to pick up per diem Urgent Care or rural ED shifts, or as I get older transition to outpatient or teaching. And I like the idea of being trained to treat peds, Women’s health, derm, & sports medicine, because I might change my mind about what I want to do later.

Flexibility is why I’ve ultimately chosen FM (OMS-3 here too). My intention right now is to be an FM hospitalist, but I like the idea that FM would allow me to pick up per diem Urgent Care or rural ED shifts, or as I get older transition to outpatient or teaching. And I like the idea of being trained to treat peds, Women’s health, derm, & sports medicine, because I might change my mind about what I want to do later.
Same here. I want something that can grow/change with me through my career.

Thoughts?
I would say most IM residencies seem designed in a lab to make people hate primary care (by virtue of having a terrible resident clinic), so if you do IM the odds are very high you will decide to do fellowship regardless of your initial plans.

FM as a general rule will prepare you better for outpatient practice (and usually give you a better clinic experience more reflective of real life) while still giving you enough inpatient to be comfortable, though not to the extent that IM will. For context, I'm an IM resident going into primary care and I'm one of 3 in my class (of 30ish) going outpatient.

Reactions: 1 users