Residency application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Decided to pursue GS and will be applying to residency soon. Was originally planning on pursuing OBGYN. Can you please give input:

Top 10 school
Straight honors in each clerkship
Junior AOA
Lots of leadership / volunteerism
Couple abstracts, and one large research project (still in progress) UNRELATED to GS. Will this hurt me tremendously? Also authoring couple book chapters unrelated to GS.

Won't be doing my Sub-I until Aug-Sep. Hopefully will get letters by Sep 15.

Biggest question: Is this too late in the game / will lack of research impact my shot at more elite academic programs?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I sound slightly ridiculous. At the same time the deans of our school have drilled into our hearts a fear for the match given the increasing competition. I'd love to stay in academics.

I'll take your sigh as a positive sign. Take what you can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're screwed. Think about family medicine.

I'm in a similar position and am quite worried.

Honors in all pre-clinical classes
Step I: 275 (pass)
Clinical honors in all clerkships with perfect scores (99s) in all shelves
LORs from previous president of ACS, previous president of SSO (both who I actually worked with a lot, not just form letters)
2 publications, multiple abstracts, 1 first author publication submitted in surgical field, research award
Junior AOA
Top 50 med school

Do I even have a chance at matching?

LORs from previous president of ACS, previous president of SSO (both who I actually worked with a lot, not just form letters)
2 publications, multiple abstracts, 1 first author publication submitted in surgical field, research award
Junior AOA
Top 50 med school

As long as by "previous president of ACS" you don't mean Lazar Greenfield you'll be fine. If so...rumor has it his letter writing skills are suspect. ;)

http://retractionwatch.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/forget-chocolate-on-valentines-day-try-semen-says-surgery-news-editor-retraction-resignation-follow/

Junior AOA
Top 50 med school

You're a new poster and I don't know your style yet...so I ask with all seriousness: are you being sarcastic? :confused:

as long as by "previous president of acs" you don't mean lazar greenfield you'll be fine. If so...rumor has it his letter writing skills are suspect. ;)

http://retractionwatch.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/forget-chocolate-on-valentines-day-try-semen-says-surgery-news-editor-retraction-resignation-follow/

its only a hypothesis, we have a proposal before our irb for a double blinded randomized control trial with volunteers from the nursing school.:thumbup:

Lazar.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a new poster and I don't know your style yet...so I ask with all seriousness: are you being sarcastic? :confused:

me too... if it was sarcasm, i'd shoot higher than only 2 publications... so this might be a legit post :confused:

if it is a legit post, then referring to Dan Plainview's list of 3 criteria, he fails C) and might have difficulty matching...

me too... if it was sarcasm, i'd shoot higher than only 2 publications... so this might be a legit post :confused:

if it is a legit post, then referring to Dan Plainview's list of 3 criteria, he fails C) and might have difficulty matching...

Don't get trolled by a "throwaway" account, guys.

Thanks for the replies - a bit. I know that matching won't be a problem. That wasn't my concern. I was asking about the higher ranked academic programs. There are plenty of people with my credentials and I was curious how detrimental it is to have unrelated research for these programs.

Thanks for the replies - a bit. I know that matching won't be a problem. That wasn't my concern. I was asking about the higher ranked academic programs. There are plenty of people with my credentials and I was curious how detrimental it is to have unrelated research for these programs.

Unrelated research is only a problem if your application is littered with references to a surgical subspecialty which might make it look like you're using general surgery as a backup ( ie, PRS, Ortho etc).

"New poster," but took a year to post 5 times. WTF? :confused:

1. I am not being serious.
2. This is my actual resume.

Your stats are certainly adequate to obtain interviews from "higher ranked" academic programs. Regardless of the quality of your application, there will be some places that simply don't want you, so pretty much everyone that applies widely experiences rejection on some level.

Stats get you in the door, and do play a partial role in the program's final decision. However, I believe the quality of your interview and the quality of your LORs play a large role in this as well. Many applicants have solid pedigrees, but act like tools/d-bags/cheesed#@ks/other-terms-for-undesirable-personalities....and they end up near the bottom of the ROL.

Many applicants have solid pedigrees, but act like tools/d-bags/cheesed#@ks/other-terms-for-undesirable-personalities....and they end up near the bottom of the ROL.

That's how it is at my program. The PD told me he doesn't really care about stats once the interviews start stats only get you there. It's all about how the residents and faculty like you personally since you will be married to them for five years.