Residency Applicant Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received my third invite this evening. I'm getting anxious for it to be March already!

Members don't see this ad.

Getting pretty nervous. Applied to 6 fellowships and one residency/MS degree program. All of them had deadlines of Jan 1 and I've only heard back from one program so far. Hopefully at least a couple more will send me an invite.

Getting pretty nervous. Applied to 6 fellowships and one residency/MS degree program. All of them had deadlines of Jan 1 and I've only heard back from one program so far. Hopefully at least a couple more will send me an invite.

What types of fellowship did you apply to? PK? MSL?

Members don't see this ad :)
What types of fellowship did you apply to? PK? MSL?

5 clinical research/drug development and one PK one. All of them industry.

everything i applied is within driving distance, i calculated it to my financial abilities

but I am trying to establish the value of scoring a interview, if they do 4 per spot, then its huge. whereas i have heard the # to be much higher from other people (of course they could be misinformed or i just misheard them)

Each place is different. Part of it depends on how many applicants they get. If they get about 10 applications, it isn't hard to get an interview. If they get 100, it would be pretty tough. Programs interview different numbers of candidates also. My hospital interviews about 20 for 2 spots, so I imagine getting ranked would be pretty difficult (we obviously aren't at that point yet and I haven't discussed it with them).

Each place is different. Part of it depends on how many applicants they get. If they get about 10 applications, it isn't hard to get an interview. If they get 100, it would be pretty tough. Programs interview different numbers of candidates also. My hospital interviews about 20 for 2 spots, so I imagine getting ranked would be pretty difficult (we obviously aren't at that point yet and I haven't discussed it with them).

if Im interviewing with a site, is it fair for me to ask that site how many interviews they conduct?

Did you apply for the Novartis/UB fellowship? Their director is awesome.

Another invite today!

No the snow/ice in atlanta last week was plenty for me :)

Received invitation number 4 today, I'm starting to feel much better about this process....

for you folks, how many of your sites are requiring presentations to be made at the site?

Members don't see this ad :)
^going along the same line of thought

the major presentations done on rotations, should I bring a copy of that or just tell them about it verbally if any pertinent question comes around?

^going along the same line of thought

the major presentations done on rotations, should I bring a copy of that or just tell them about it verbally if any pertinent question comes around?

I have all of the stuff I've done on rotation in a binder. I'll take it with me and show it if I am asked about that stuff.

So far, none. I'm pretty happy about it. Seems like a somewhat low-yield thing to do given the amount of time that would be eaten up by a presentation.
I have a presentation:mad:. But I have an interesting and somewhat useful topic almost completely unrelated to my research projects. Its a presentation that may come in handy one day

First interview invitation today!!! :D

Congrats.

On a related note, I got an email from a residency coordinator saying she hadn't gotten my third LOR so she offered to leave me as a back-up if I get my 3rd LOR in AND someone else declines their interview. It's the one I actually rotated at, which is probably the only reason she gave me that option. Problem is, my LOR writer emailed it from her gmail account, and this same residency coordinator didn't get my rotation information because her company email filters all .com emails as spam. (Very annoying to say the least.) My bet is the LOR was filtered as spam and deleted.:mad:

Received 3 interview invites so far and 1 rejection. One site has indicated that no presentation is required but the other two have not indicated.

Received another invite....this one says that a clinical case will be given. Any idea on the type of disease states that may be covered? I was thinking probably the "biggies", like HTN, Diabetes, Dyslipidemias, etc. Any other ideas?

received another invite....this one says that a clinical case will be given. Any idea on the type of disease states that may be covered? I was thinking probably the "biggies", like htn, diabetes, dyslipidemias, etc. Any other ideas?

mdro

How do you go about letting a program know that you would no longer like to interview after you have scheduled an interview? I am realizing that I may have over-done it and was wondering if I could cancel? I could make it if I have to, but was curious if this had ever been done.

I'm just taking myself, a small portfolio, and some extra CV's. I was told by a residency director that bringing too much stuff can be kind of distracting for the applicant.

How do you go about letting a program know that you would no longer like to interview after you have scheduled an interview? I am realizing that I may have over-done it and was wondering if I could cancel? I could make it if I have to, but was curious if this had ever been done.

Do it now so they can get another applicant in there to interview. They would rather have you cancel now than 3 weeks from now.

I am going through the process again after not matching last year. I decided to apply to more programs this year. I applied to 10 programs, got interviews at 6, rejection at 1, and haven't heard from the other 3.

I am going through the process again after not matching last year. I decided to apply to more programs this year. I applied to 10 programs, got interviews at 6, rejection at 1, and haven't heard from the other 3.

Good for you for getting back on the horse! And congratulations for the interviews you've gotten! I was wondering how many people have done this. Out of curiosity, what did you do in the interim year? I worry about the possibility of not matching...

Good for you for getting back on the horse! And congratulations for the interviews you've gotten! I was wondering how many people have done this. Out of curiosity, what did you do in the interim year? I worry about the possibility of not matching...

I will start off by saying that I am looking for ambulatory care or community care residencies. I did scramble and got several interviews after the match, but still didn't end up with a position. I tried many avenues to get a job (my area was pretty saturated) and finally ended up working for a chain.

I applied to 6, heard from 4, 2 interviews, 1 still considering, and 1 will consider me if someone else declines their interviews or no one matches :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So far:

Invites: 3
Rejection: 3
Still Waiting: 5

O, how I hate to wait!:)

Last edited:
Applied to 7 and received 7 interview invitations!! First interview is January 31st, which is coming up fast.

Blarg! 1 interview, 1 rejection, 8 pending. I'm not the best candidate but I figured I'd at least get some kind of notification by now.

So the current toll: 4 interview invites, 0 rejections, waiting for 3 more places

I will start off by saying that I am looking for ambulatory care or community care residencies. I did scramble and got several interviews after the match, but still didn't end up with a position. I tried many avenues to get a job (my area was pretty saturated) and finally ended up working for a chain.

Thanks for sharing. I'm hope it works out this time around for you (and me too!):xf:

Yeah those crickets suck huh? So far, I've got:

2 No
2 Yes
1 Waitlist
3 Crickets

Congrats to everybody who's gotten an interview! It's so nice to hear good news! And for those that are still waiting to hear, no worries; some programs just take their time in sending out invites. I received a few of mine at the end of January.

:luck:

i got a interview offer from my #4 choice, should i take it?

i got interview from my #3 choice, still waiting for #2 (should tell me anyday) and #1 (their deadline is in feb so that'll be a while)

with that given scenario, should I accept the interview from the #4 choice?
factoring in: 1) if i do rank it at 4, very low chance i match
against 2) what if I dont get interview from my #1 and #2 spots? then my #4 place becomes #2 :thumbdown:

thoughts?

i got a interview offer from my #4 choice, should i take it?

i got interview from my #3 choice, still waiting for #2 (should tell me anyday) and #1 (their deadline is in feb so that'll be a while)

with that given scenario, should I accept the interview from the #4 choice?
factoring in: 1) if i do rank it at 4, very low chance i match
against 2) what if I dont get interview from my #1 and #2 spots? then my #4 place becomes #2 :thumbdown:

thoughts?

Interview everywhere. You never know what may happen.

No rejections! My schedule is a little ridiculous right now, thank goodness I'm off of rotations for the next few weeks.

That's awesome!!!! Congrats! Have you scheduled them already? Make sure to leave yourself some breathing room so they don't all run together and seem like one long-as-heck interview!

No rejections! My schedule is a little ridiculous right now, thank goodness I'm off of rotations for the next few weeks.
So Mr. Residency Rockstar, mind sharing what you think was most important about your apps up to this point? Was it your packet or your personality that sealed the deal? Just trying to see what to start working on. :D

I'm in the same boat! But, I'm not off rotations. Thank goodness I had an easy one this month and got a ton of stuff done. I have one interview next week, then off one week, then 2 and then 3 the next. It's a lot, but I am so ready for it to be over.

Good luck to everyone.

I'm in the same boat! But, I'm not off rotations. Thank goodness I had an easy one this month and got a ton of stuff done. I have one interview next week, then off one week, then 2 and then 3 the next. It's a lot, but I am so ready for it to be over.

Good luck to everyone.

Interviews for me start Mon. I have 3 next week, off the following week, 4 on the following week, and we are working out the schedule on another. I still have crickets on 1.

It's almost February. I still have only receieved one on-site interview invite from the 6 fellowships and 1 residency/MS degree programs I applied to. :rolleyes:

Luckily, the one program that I interviewed with sent me an offer yesterday. :D

It's almost February. I still have only receieved one on-site interview invite from the 6 fellowships and 1 residency/MS degree programs I applied to. :rolleyes:

Luckily, the one program that I interviewed with sent me an offer yesterday. :D

That's awesome! Good job! I guess fellowship programs don't go through the match or something similar?

Interview everywhere. You never know what may happen.

And you never know what your ranking might be after you interview. I thought I wanted one place and ended up shuffling my rankings after interviews.