residency abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Layla00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that time spent doing a residency abroad doesn't count towards accreditation in the US. However, is it possible to do residency on a US base abroad and have that count? Also is it possible to do residency on a base if you are not employed by the Navy or Army ( I don't think I'm allowed to work for them since I'm a dual citizen).

Members don't see this ad.

There are no residency programs at US military hospitals overseas. All residencies are stateside. The most exotic location you could see is Tripler in Hawaii. They don't accept civilians for military residency programs-there are already too few spots for the individuals already commissioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Residents can rotate at LRMC in Germany, but there aren't any complete residencies there.

You can commission in the US military if you give up your other citizenship. If you're already a medical student the only way to get into a military residency is through HPSP.