Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikepod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if six figure residencies were rare in the U.S.. In my country there are only 24 month positions available and the pay is about $30, 000. I knew there is a discrepancy between those figures, I was hoping to find out how large it actually is.

Members don't see this ad.

ilikepod said:
I wanted to know if six figure residencies were rare in the U.S.. In my country there are only 24 month positions available and the pay is about $30, 000. I knew there is a discrepancy between those figures, I was hoping to find out how large it actually is.

There are no residencies that pay 6 figures. As far as I know, this goes for any residency of any specialty. Podiatric residencies can range from 30,000 - 50,000 depending on where it is. Give or take of course. I obviously have not seen the numbers for all the programs.

randersen said:
There are no residencies that pay 6 figures. As far as I know, this goes for any residency of any specialty. Podiatric residencies can range from 30,000 - 50,000 depending on where it is. Give or take of course. I obviously have not seen the numbers for all the programs.

Some of the ones in NYC are in the 60's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last I heard, legally - all DPM, DO, and MD residents have to have the same salary as each other per state. So, a first year in some state has to have the same as a 2nd year in that same state - regardless of your degree. If this is not the case in all states, I would be curious, but I at least know this is true for most.

ilikepod said:

ilikepod said:

The VA hospitals around the US pay their residents around $32,000-$36,000, the government bases this salary on the average resident salary across the country. That should give you a range of salaries in residency. This website will also give you a good idea what different residencies are paying their residents. www.aacpm.org/residencies/CASPRdir.asp

desertpod said:
The VA hospitals around the US pay their residents around $32,000-$36,000, the government bases this salary on the average resident salary across the country. That should give you a range of salaries in residency. This website will also give you a good idea what different residencies are paying their residents. www.aacpm.org/residencies/CASPRdir.asp
They actually announced a raise for the VA residencies a little while ago on the AACPM website. As of July the VA will pay:

PGY 1 - 36,000
PGY 2 - 38,200
PGY 3 - 40,000

I believe these numbers are correct. They should be updated in the upcoming residency directory.

runnersfeet said:
Last I heard, legally - all DPM, DO, and MD residents have to have the same salary as each other per state. So, a first year in some state has to have the same as a 2nd year in that same state - regardless of your degree. If this is not the case in all states, I would be curious, but I at least know this is true for most.

Perhaps, I am misinterpreting your posting, but, the salary for the first year resident is usually lower than the second year resident. As a resident progresses through the residency, there should be an increase in the salary with each advancement.

As for salaries for residency, it is a very complicated subject. Each hospital usually set their own resident's salaries. The chances of DPM resident's salaries matching the DO/MD resident's salaries in the same hospital usually occur in the university hospitals or major teaching hospitals that have several residency programs. One reason why there is a huge range of salaries for Podiatry residents is that many Podiatry residency programs are established in smaller hospitals or non teaching hospitals that either have no MD/DO residency programs or maybe one MD/DO residency program. The resident's salaries in these smaller hospitals are usually lower than the major teaching or university hospitals. Of course, there are a few exceptions (such as some of the smaller hospitals in Michigan).

Oh yeah, that was a typo on my part , sorry - i know that one increases salary per year as a resident. I realize that each program is different, I had just heard from some residency directors that MD's, DO's, and DPMs have to make the same as a residents per state - but maybe that is only for some specific prgorams. I am in Colorado and here I know that the MD residents -regardless of the program - have to, legally, make the same as the DPM residents who are not even associated with any of the same residencies as the MDs. So, I guess it just differs per state. I guess I should not bother to figure it out now since I am sure it will change some by the time I am ready to look for residency programs:) Thanks for your info.

dpmgrad said:
Perhaps, I am misinterpreting your posting, but, the salary for the first year resident is usually lower than the second year resident. As a resident progresses through the residency, there should be an increase in the salary with each advancement.

As for salaries for residency, it is a very complicated subject. Each hospital usually set their own resident's salaries. The chances of DPM resident's salaries matching the DO/MD resident's salaries in the same hospital usually occur in the university hospitals or major teaching hospitals that have several residency programs. One reason why there is a huge range of salaries for Podiatry residents is that many Podiatry residency programs are established in smaller hospitals or non teaching hospitals that either have no MD/DO residency programs or maybe one MD/DO residency program. The resident's salaries in these smaller hospitals are usually lower than the major teaching or university hospitals. Of course, there are a few exceptions (such as some of the smaller hospitals in Michigan).

Last I heard, legally - all DPM, DO, and MD residents have to have the same salary as each other per state.

Can you point me to where you heard this? I am paid a bit lower than the DO residents in the hospital (an annoyance to my Director, but since I knew the salary coming in, I have lived with it).

Thanks.

John

Hmm, ok, I guess I misunderstood and apparently they were only speaking of the state where I currently reside..I just assumed it was the case in every state - I know this is the case for Colorado residents...as I know both MD and DPM residents here, along with program directors.

JohnfootDr said:
Can you point me to where you heard this? I am paid a bit lower than the DO residents in the hospital (an annoyance to my Director, but since I knew the salary coming in, I have lived with it).

Thanks.

John

jonwill said:
They actually announced a raise for the VA residencies a little while ago on the AACPM website. As of July the VA will pay:

PGY 1 - 36,000
PGY 2 - 38,200
PGY 3 - 40,000

I believe these numbers are correct. They should be updated in the upcoming residency directory.
Dr. Jeff Page DPM is the director of our program at Midwestern, he has been associated with the VA for years. Before coming to Midwestern fulltime, he was the director of the VA residents program at the Phoenix VA. He told me last year that the VA sets salaries based on a nationwide average so the VA raise would indicate an increase in resident salaries across the country. Thats good news.