Residencies in the Northeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future.dpm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to get some feedback on a few programs in the Northeast from recent externs/residents/graduates. I'm interested in gaining some more info on Yale New Haven, Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Lenox Hill, NYP Queens, Medstar, and DVA Maryland/RIAO. I know some of these have been mentioned or briefly reviewed in other posts, but none of them were too recent. Thanks in advance for your constructive feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Since no one else has replied I just want to (comically) add that the impression I got from ACFAS is they like to order PET scans at Yale.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Your best chance is to look at the residency reviews.

APMA also has a residency survey that should be available through the school student association as well. That's very helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your best chance is to look at the residency reviews.

APMA also has a residency survey that should be available through the school student association as well. That's very helpful.
Okay thank you. Where can I find the residency reviews?

Okay thank you. Where can I find the residency reviews?

Here is the link. Hopefully someone can chime in and provide more recent info for you as these reviews might be outdated.

Here is the link. Hopefully someone can chime in and provide more recent info for you as these reviews might be outdated.
Thanks, hopefully someone can give some more recent feedback. Unfortunately that thread doesn't have too much info on programs in the Northeast, and NY in particular.

Jersey Shore Medical Center has become a very solid program

UMDNJ is a historically strong program

Yale is average. CT scope is pretty bad

Doing residency in New York is not a great idea and should be your last resort. Stay out of NYC

Massachusetts has some decent programs but again the state scope is not great

Reactions: 3 users

Doing residency in New York is not a great idea and should be your last resort. Stay out of NYC

Thanks. From the research I've done, it seems like NYP Queens is one of the only really strong programs in NY. I'll definitely look into those programs in NJ, I know they have a great scope over there. Any other recommendations are appreciated. I'm looking for a program with emphasis on limb salvage/recon.

Thanks. From the research I've done, it seems like NYP Queens is one of the only really strong programs in NY. I'll definitely look into those programs in NJ, I know they have a great scope over there. Any other recommendations are appreciated. I'm looking for a program with emphasis on limb salvage/recon.

You should avoid 4-year programs.

Reactions: 6 users
I watched NYP Queens give a presentation once. They tried to justify their 4th year by saying they had plenty of awesome cases year 1-3 and then the 4th year was a teaching years where you teach the residents beneath you or something like that. Isn't that called being an attending?

I watched NYP Queens give a presentation once. They tried to justify their 4th year by saying they had plenty of awesome cases year 1-3 and then the 4th year was a teaching years where you teach the residents beneath you or something like that. Isn't that called being an attending?
cheap labor. 4th year resident is "teaching" and overseeing the younger residents while the attending is in their own private clinic billing for two different clinics at the same time. Am I right?

Reactions: 4 users
Any current residents or externs who can shed some light on the structure of the program?

I was wondering, I heard that most people get residencies where they went to school. So I go to NYCPM and chances of getting a residency in NY will be much easier than getting a residency elsewhere. How much of that is true? I want to go to the west coast and I have heard the programs there require much higher GPAs which I don't have. Sorry, I don't mean to steal the spotlight from OP but I just don't wanna stay in NY considering most people I know always say the same thing as you about the residency programs here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, also-what about Wyckoff in NYC? Is that a good program? I know many graduates go there.

I was wondering, I heard that most people get residencies where they went to school. So I go to NYCPM and chances of getting a residency in NY will be much easier than getting a residency elsewhere. How much of that is true? I want to go to the west coast and I have heard the programs there require much higher GPAs which I don't have. Sorry, I don't mean to steal the spotlight from OP but I just don't wanna stay in NY considering most people I know always say the same thing as you about the residency programs here.
I've thought about this as well. I personally feel that NY programs are improving and many have become strong programs due to recent scope of practice expansion. I think a lot of the, "NY programs are bad" sentiment stems from years of restrictive scope, but now I think there are a few good places to train. I'd love to get some input from recent externs/residents at NY programs to hear the truth, rather than all of the hearsay surrounding NY residencies.

From the research I've done, Mount Sinai residents receive tons of training in limb salvage and Ilizarov ex-fix surgery, Lenox Hill is fully integrated with the Department of Orthopedics and they scrub great cases, and NYP Queens is a very well-rounded program with tons of limb salvage, ex-fix, reconstruction and very strong general medical training.

Only you can decide what program is best for you. Something that you love could be another's bane of existence.

xoxo,

Wykoff _______
(a) scrambles every single year
(b) scrambles every single year and filled like maybe 50% of their spots last year
(c) scrambles every single year and maybe filled 50% of their spots last year and has non-RRA spots that shouldn't exist
(d) graduates a lot of residents and therefore NY is on the UP UP baby!

This question is worth 100% of your grade.

• Haha
xoxo,

Wykoff _______
(a) scrambles every single year
(b) scrambles every single year and filled like maybe 50% of their spots last year
(c) scrambles every single year and maybe filled 50% of their spots last year and has non-RRA spots that shouldn't exist
(d) graduates a lot of residents and therefore NY is on the UP UP baby!

This question is worth 100% of your grade.
wyckoff is apparently dog****- word thru the grapevine (had classmates/folks above me end up in NYC- a few there- and transfer)

wyckoff is apparently dog****- word thru the grapevine (had classmates/folks above me end up in NYC- a few there- and transfer)

It is...every Caribbean and other FMGs student rotates through it. A few years ago, one of their CEOs was charged with fraud.
There are 'better' places in NY than any of these city hospitals, IMO.

OP, unfortunately, we do not have an attending here who graduated from NYCPM recently.
Please seek help from your senior classmates and also by visiting programs of your interest.

Wykoff and Coney Island are definitely examples of very weak NY programs. That being said, I don't think we can judge an entire state based on a handful of weak facilities. I think we could all list really bad programs in most states, regardless of that state's scope of practice. There's no doubt that with the expansion of NY's scope, the training has and continues to improve greatly. I think very recent NYCPM grads and NY residents/externs at reputable programs will agree with this.

Residency programs from all over the country get residents from all over the country. Usually local programs have "core" type rotations, or the students at the school are generally from the geographic area and want to stay there. I would bet those are the biggest reasons why it looks like NY students fill up more NYC residencies than everyone else. And why midwest residency programs have more DMU and Scholl grads than Barry grads.

I chose the school I went to because after interviewing with 4-5 of the schools I thought it was "the best" in terms of board pass rates, where they were sending kids to residency, attrition rate, facilities, etc. I was certainly a minority amongst my classmates who mostly chose the school because it was the closest to home.

Aside from NYP- Queens. Any other good program in NY? I will have to stay in NY as my family is here however, still trying to figure out what is the “best” program (s) here. I understand residency is ultimately what you will make of it, but would still like to hear other perspectives. Any insight would be useful

I agree. UMDNJ is trauma heavy with excellent training

Untrue. NY - I'd look into LIJ forest hills or north shore. The directors are amazing and those two directors have ankle privileges.

Aside from NYP- Queens. Any other good program in NY? I will have to stay in NY as my family is here however, still trying to figure out what is the “best” program (s) here. I understand residency is ultimately what you will make of it, but would still like to hear other perspectives. Any insight would be useful
I have heard good things about LIJ North Shore, LIJ Forest Hills, and Winthrop from classmates who externed there but there is definitely stiff competition.

Untrue. NY - I'd look into LIJ forest hills or north shore. The directors are amazing and those two directors have ankle privileges.

I have heard good things about LIJ North Shore, LIJ Forest Hills, and Winthrop from classmates who externed there but there is definitely stiff competition.

Agreed with these. But you need a high GPA/Rank to rotate at and then match at them, everyone attending NYCPM wants to match at these places lol
In general, I would try to avoid the City Hospitals and the 4-year programs; but make a decision after externship and speaking to seniors/current residents.

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, but would you be able to elaborate a bit on how scope of practice affects residency training in states like MA/CT?

Thank you!

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, but would you be able to elaborate a bit on how scope of practice affects residency training in states like MA/CT?

Thank you!
The MA legislature states...

"Section 13. Podiatry as used in this chapter shall mean the diagnosis and the treatment of the structures of the human foot by medical, mechanical, surgical, manipulative and electrical means without the use of other than local anesthetics, and excepting treatment of systemic conditions, and excluding amputation of the foot or toes. This and the ten following sections shall not apply to surgeons of the United States army, navy or of the United States Public Health Service, nor to physicians registered in the commonwealth. The term physician and surgeon when used in sections twelve B, twelve G, twenty-three N and eighty B shall include a podiatrist acting within the limitation imposed by this section."

TLDR, no ankle privileges and no amputations.

However, how it really works in MA is that certain hospitals will allows DPMs to practice full scope, but that is entirely dependent on the hospital. For example, Mt. Auburn allows the DPMs there to do everything. Dr. Basile probably does more TARs and complex recons than anyone in the Northeast and he works out of Mt. Auburn. However, that could all change, theoretically, if the hospital ever had a change of heart based on the current legal definition of podiatry. There are also some programs in MA though that you need to scrub with general or vascular to do toe amps. I would highly suggest spending time at any program in MA that you're seriously considering to see how things actually work. There are good programs in MA, but the rules/laws are confusing to say the least.

Your education will predominantly come from the surgeons you interact with every week ie. your core faculty. If they don't know how to do something or aren't allowed to do something they will potentially do some variation of the following:

-They won't understand it - so they won't see it/recognize it/ or know what to do
-They will recognize it, but they won't be able to treat it so they'll refer it on
-Or they will force it to fit what they can do/understand/want to do ie. all I have is a hammer so this must be a nail

Your goal is to have attending surgeons who practice the full length and breadth of foot and ankle medicine. Anything that interferes with this limits your education. ie. junk faculty, poor referrals, no ankle surgery, unwillingness to operate etc. Outside attendings, exposure, rotations, non-core staff - the experience is just going to be so variable. There shouldn't just be some 1 month experience during 3rd year where you get all your rearfoot numbers. The good stuff should be visible all year round.

Random thing, above - unwillingness to operate. Your attendings need to be willing to take a swing at some cases that they know are difficult/long shots. There's all this talk about how you will need several years to decide who you should and should not operate on. That's true and there may be cases when you are on your own where you say - pass, I know what this entails. By the end of my training I felt like my attendings were moving towards only wanting to do the things they wanted to do. That isn't in a residents interest (it isn't in a patient's interest either). There are hopeless cases out there and what not, but there are other cases where its not ideal, but something has to be done. A residency where you only do cases that make you happy may limit exposure.

The MA legislature states...

"Section 13. Podiatry as used in this chapter shall mean the diagnosis and the treatment of the structures of the human foot by medical, mechanical, surgical, manipulative and electrical means without the use of other than local anesthetics, and excepting treatment of systemic conditions, and excluding amputation of the foot or toes. This and the ten following sections shall not apply to surgeons of the United States army, navy or of the United States Public Health Service, nor to physicians registered in the commonwealth. The term physician and surgeon when used in sections twelve B, twelve G, twenty-three N and eighty B shall include a podiatrist acting within the limitation imposed by this section."

TLDR, no ankle privileges and no amputations.

However, how it really works in MA is that certain hospitals will allows DPMs to practice full scope, but that is entirely dependent on the hospital. For example, Mt. Auburn allows the DPMs there to do everything. Dr. Basile probably does more TARs and complex recons than anyone in the Northeast and he works out of Mt. Auburn. However, that could all change, theoretically, if the hospital ever had a change of heart based on the current legal definition of podiatry. There are also some programs in MA though that you need to scrub with general or vascular to do toe amps. I would highly suggest spending time at any program in MA that you're seriously considering to see how things actually work. There are good programs in MA, but the rules/laws are confusing to say the least.
This is amazing to me. How can a hospital override the state statutes for podiatry scope and get away with it? How is that legal?

This is amazing to me. How can a hospital override the state statutes for podiatry scope and get away with it? How is that legal?
I'm guessing the same way some general laws are still in the books, but no one enforces them since they are socially considered outdated (Mississippi ratified the 13th amendment in 2013 instead of 1865). Takes too much time and money to change a law but none to stop enforcing it. Just my guess

I'm from MA. I don't know where the user got that statement from but this is our law.

Practice of Podiatry means the following conduct: the maintenance of human podiatric health by the prevention, alleviation or cure of disorders, injuries or disease of the human foot and ankle by medical, mechanical, surgical, manipulative and electrical means, and the prescription and administration of drugs for the relief of disease or adverse physical podiatric conditions. The scope of practice of podiatry includes resections of the foot; as well as surgical procedures involving the ankle joint. In the course of treating the human foot or ankle, a registered podiatrist may perform an Achilles tendon lengthening and he or she may also perform tendon transfers that require incisions into the lower leg. The scope of practice of podiatry includes the diagnosis of systemic diseases.

The pod I used to work with did TAR too.

We're not well known outside of soft tissue work in my area because it's mainly run with older pods who doesn't do any complex surgery. Plus, most don't feel comfortable doing it so they send it all to ortho, which just recently they added an ortho F/A and she's super busy already. They won't hire pod for their actual ortho office cause they wanted someone to share calls.

I'm from MA. I don't know where the user got that statement from but this is our law.

Practice of Podiatry means the following conduct: the maintenance of human podiatric health by the prevention, alleviation or cure of disorders, injuries or disease of the human foot and ankle by medical, mechanical, surgical, manipulative and electrical means, and the prescription and administration of drugs for the relief of disease or adverse physical podiatric conditions. The scope of practice of podiatry includes resections of the foot; as well as surgical procedures involving the ankle joint. In the course of treating the human foot or ankle, a registered podiatrist may perform an Achilles tendon lengthening and he or she may also perform tendon transfers that require incisions into the lower leg. The scope of practice of podiatry includes the diagnosis of systemic diseases.

The pod I used to work with did TAR too.

We're not well known outside of soft tissue work in my area because it's mainly run with older pods who doesn't do any complex surgery. Plus, most don't feel comfortable doing it so they send it all to ortho, which just recently they added an ortho F/A and she's super busy already. They won't hire pod for their actual ortho office cause they wanted someone to share calls.
Ftdoc11 posted the correct current scope of practice for Podiatry in MA, which does NOT include ankle and amputation privileges for Podiatry. MFAS (Mass Foot and Ankle Society) has been working on getting the Podiatry scope of practice expanded to include ankles. As Ftdoc11 discussed in his post, there are very few hospitals that "bend the rules" and allow Podiatrist do some ankle work, such as Mt. Auburn, Winchester, and possibly Cambridge Health Alliance (through the rumor mill).

Last edited:
Thank you so much for everyone's helpful insight. I am also from MA and was under the impression that the law is as stated by dpmgrad and Ftdoc11. Interesting to hear how some hospitals "bend the rules".

I did see earlier that somebody said that Connecticut had a poor scope of practice, but judging by the state website it would seem that it is fairly decent. Only limitation I really see is that amputation is limited to the TMA level (and no lower leg). ACFAS seems to back that up, too.

Anyone have insight? Thanks for the help. I've searched around and found limited/conflicting info, so this discussion is very informative.

Last edited:
Ftdoc11 posted the correct current scope of practice for Podiatry in MA, which does NOT include ankle and amputation privileges for Podiatry. MFAS (Mass Foot and Ankle Society) has been working on getting the Podiatry scope of practice expanded to include ankles. As Ftdoc11 discussed in his post, there are very few hospitals that "bend the rules" and allow Podiatrist do some ankle work, such as Mt. Auburn, Winchester, and possibly Cambridge Health Alliance (through the rumor mill).
It is crazy to me that hospitals can break the rules in MA. That is a lot of liability for the MA podiatrist if something happens. How can you protect yourself in court if a TAR goes bad? The laws state you are not supposed to do that case.

It is crazy to me that hospitals can break the rules in MA. That is a lot of liability for the MA podiatrist if something happens. How can you protect yourself in court if a TAR goes bad? The laws state you are not supposed to do that case.
Don't worry I am sure admin has their back.

I've been to one the Boston area programs as an extern and they are definitely doing cooler stuff and more complicated surgery involving the ankle, tibia, plus all the normal ff/mf stuff than I have seen and heard from other programs in so-called "full scope" states.
And its not just one program like that, its for sure at least 2 and possibly a couple others in MA that due more than the so called "laws" allow.
Can you comment on which ones you visited, or would you prefer not to?

Yeah I'm at lost here. Cause this is from the Board of Registration in Podiatry from Mass.gov

4.01: Role of the Podiatrist In the provision of podiatric care:
The podiatrist examines, diagnoses and treats or prescribes course of treatment for patients with disorders, diseases or injuries of the foot and ankle; interviews patients and writes case histories to determine previous ailments, complaints and areas of investigation; examines footwear to determine proper fit, evidence of proper gait, and corrective care or treatment required; conducts complete physical examinations of the foot and ankle, including tissue, bone and muscular structure with emphasis on the relationship to diabetes, peripheral vascular disease and pathomechanical disease; make systemic as well as lower extremity diagnoses; conducts physical examination of any and all other areas of the body evidencing symptoms or conditions potentially contributing to disorders, diseases, injuries or symptoms of the foot; supplements examination by ordering or performing various laboratory tests, analyses and diagnostic procedures, including X-rays, which may be taken by the podiatry assistant under the registered podiatrist’s supervision; interprets laboratory results and evaluates examination findings; refers patients to, or consults with, other physicians for further case diagnoses or treatment; administers treatment to eliminate lesions, infections, contagious diseases affecting the foot and ankle and other symptomatic conditions of the foot and ankle causing pain or affecting ambulation; performs appropriate therapeutic surgical procedures; prescribes appropriate medication; instructs nurses and other assistants in treatment and care of patients; prescribes and supervises construction and maintenance of orthotic foot devices and fabricates special appliances to foot or in footgear to meet the needs of individual patients; applies appliances to foot or in footwear; initiates other podiatric procedures or services and advises patients on proper care of feet and nail prophylaxis; reviews and studies case history and progress of patient; consults with surgeons and residents in establishing a therapeutic program for the patient; records data or case history on medical records; and advises on kind and quality of podiatric medical supplies and equipment required.

It looks like the Code of Massachusetts Regulations and the Massachusetts General Laws have different definitions. General laws Part I Title XVI Chapter 112 Section 13 defines podiatry with the more restrictive scope of practice, and the CMR describes it with the broader scope of practice. Which one takes precedence? Looks like the CMR was last updated in 2017. It seems like the podiatry board still lists the legislative (restricted) definition in its patient fact sheet on their web page, and the Mass Foot & Ankle Society still mentions it being restricted. Very confusing.

Last edited:
I did end up getting information from some of the Massachusetts residency directors. The long and short of it is that there's the state law that hasn't been updated in 50 years that says no ankle and no amputations. Then there's the code of registration in podiatry that includes full scope of practice. So there's a conflict in definitions. Many private practice folks abide by the state law but, for residency and for those working in hospitals, many of the hospitals allow privileges for full scope of practice to their doctors based upon the state code of registration. I confirmed that this is at least true for MetroWest, BMC, and Beth Israel. St. Vincent you work with an ortho doctor during residency but you get all the foot and ankle stuff with her (no ortho residents).

I did end up getting information from some of the Massachusetts residency directors. The long and short of it is that there's the state law that hasn't been updated in 50 years that says no ankle and no amputations. Then there's the code of registration in podiatry that includes full scope of practice. So there's a conflict in definitions. Many private practice folks abide by the state law but, for residency and for those working in hospitals, many of the hospitals allow privileges for full scope of practice to their doctors based upon the state code of registration. I confirmed that this is at least true for MetroWest, BMC, and Beth Israel. St. Vincent you work with an ortho doctor during residency but you get all the foot and ankle stuff with her (no ortho residents).
Sounds stupid...definitely very podiatry

Does anyone have any up to date insight into NYP Queens since it’s a 3 year program now?

Hello, I wanted to get some feedback on a few programs in the Northeast from recent externs/residents/graduates. I'm interested in gaining some more info on Yale New Haven, Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Lenox Hill, NYP Queens, Medstar, and DVA Maryland/RIAO. I know some of these have been mentioned or briefly reviewed in other posts, but none of them were too recent. Thanks in advance for your constructive feedback!
Yale New Haven was one of the best programs, very underrated. The CT scope is not bad, people who say that don't actually know or haven't asked the right questions. The only limitation to CT scope is that it does not allow a podiatrist to do TARs and Pillon fractures (however that is changing) the trade off is you can harvest your own grafts from the thigh (which is more useful in practice anyhow, let's be honest most programs across the country aren't churning out Pilons and ones that say they do a lot of TARs barely let their residents hold the knife). Yale residents still learn TAR and Pillon directly from ortho at the other level 1 trauma hospital in CT (Hartford) where there are no ortho residents, so it's just the ortho attending and podiatry resident. Great surgical volume, days in the OR can go from first morning start time all the way through 1-2am. Their first year residents all reached their numbers by mid December. Excellent training and all their residents are the ones primarily doing the surgery, so a lot of resident autonomy. However, they are particular every year with who they choose making it competitive (they care a lot about GPA and rank). Post graduate offers were some of the best I've seen (250k+) and those that want a fellowship are able to get one.

Same could be said for the Massachusetts programs, specifically Mt. Auburn. Excellent training and well rounded residents. Residents are able to get a job wherever they want.
Also state scope DOES NOT affect residency training, it only affects you if you decide to practice in that state.

Medstar attendings and faculty are so nice, but primarily a place for limb salvage. As a student, you won't see much trauma/recon. The volume is ok. The location is great. If you want a fellowship the opportunity is there since faculty is well connected.

Also state scope DOES NOT affect residency training, it only affects you if you decide to practice in that state.

State Scope of Practice absolutely affects residency training opportunities. In order to be trained on ankle surgery (if it is out of scope for your core podiatry faculty), you have to scrub/train with an MD. But those rotations are limited and the MDs are many times training other MDs.

UMDNJ
is a historically strong program

I know @CutsWithFury is banned, RIP and you are missed.

Otherwise I’d ask him directly. Can anyone elaborate on the NJ programs?