Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCplease

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting med school in the fall and was wondering when the best time is to approach the home department about possible derm research projects. Ideally I'd like to spend the first semester adjusting to school and then hopefully get involved in a project that lasts from the second semester through the summer. Any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say approach the home department as early as possible. Just let them know your name and that you would be interested in doing research something during the 2nd semester.

I think it's definitely a good idea to adjust to school first before jumping right into juggling schoolwork and research.

Starting a research project during your 2nd semester and continuing into the summer is also a good way to get published! Most students I know just started work in the summer and that makes it a lot more difficult to get anything done. (How much could possible be done in the 8-10 weeks most of us have off?)

Sounds like you have a good plan!

I agree with "cdql". The earlier you show interest, the better.

As for starting a research project during your 2nd semester...I say go for it as long as it does NOT adversely affecting your grades in your classes. I'm not saying you have to "Honor" every class to get into Derm. But you should at the very least be in the top 10-20% of your class. Remember, good grades and good board scores are pretty much universal in Derm residency applications.