Research Year Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousjorge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year hoping to match into ENT in the 2010-2011 cycle, but I understand the competitiveness of it and would like to have all my bases covered in case things don't work out. Taking a year or two off during med school for research is not all that common at my institution, and while in retrospect I think I might have enjoyed it and it would have strengthened my application, I did not strongly consider it after years 2 and 3.

So, in case I do not match into ENT in the upcoming cycle, I was thinking my back-up plan would be to set up some sort of research fellowship in ENT and then try again the following year. I know people commonly will scramble into a Gen Surg intern year if they don't match (and then try again the next year), and I certainly haven't ruled this out, but I think I might rather spend the year doing research. My questions are thus as follows: What does the timing of the research year say about you to prospective residency directors (i.e. doing it after year 4 rather than years 2 or 3)? What is the competitive advantage of scrambling into a Gen Surg intern year versus a research year?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.