Research year in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverCat

The Friendly Reapp Cat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I just have a few questions.

I'm finishing up a summer research project, and will be starting my second year of med school. I really enjoyed my project, and liked my PI, but all I have to show for it is negative results- no pubs, not even a poster. I go to an unranked med school, but am aiming for a top 10 IM program. I feel that the only way I have a shot at my dream IM program is to get, not only top grades, Step 1 score, and AOA, but also pubs. Another part of my desire for a research year is that I truly enjoy basic bench research.

I would really like to continue research with my current PI at my home institution, because she has a good history of publishing and mentoring students, but there is no funding at my school for a year off. I was looking into the HHMI and the NIH program, but I wonder if these are too competitive for someone like me--attending an unranked school. I also fear that I would be wasting my time and increasing my debt with a year off, which may not even lead to pubs and may not help me with residency, simply because I like basic bench research.

Any advice would be appreciate from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Keep doing research with your advisor and something will work out. I know a few people that did "the year off" and ultimately it was a year less income. Summer projects, hell some 4 year PhD-level projects do not always result in something, nature of the beast. For every nature paper, there are 10+ projects that go un presented. Practice going through the motions, learn as much as you can, and something will pan out. Plenty of students do research during ms2, ms3, and ms4 without seeking extramural funding or even applying for a year-long program.

Thanks for the reply!

I'd like to continue with my current lab, but how would I fund that, given that my school doesn't provide anything for that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be taking time off between the M3 and M4 years. I'm not eligible for student loans, nor would I want to increase my debt. Thus, I would need some funding.

I don't want to attempt research while in school because my grades would suffer.

I would be taking time off between the M3 and M4 years. I'm not eligible for student loans, nor would I want to increase my debt. Thus, I would need some funding.

I don't want to attempt research while in school because my grades would suffer.
Ahh I see. There are sources for funding for this type of idea, such as the year long research elective. Those types of programs take you to their campus (such as Bethesda), and you basically run through the motions of research. These programs are competitive, but not out of the grasp due to being at an "unranked" school. Just apply once the application cycle opens and do what you can. The NIH program is really interesting and you can meet some very good contacts there.

It sounds like you have a good mentor already, I personally would milk that for all its worth. A good mentor in the hand, is worth more than any fellowship elsewhere. NIH puts out GREAT research, but may not necessarily have a better mentor. Why get stuck in a lab washing glass and running PCR reactions under a grad student, if you have direct contact with a good mentor at your home institution. The goal of this research isn't to be super innovative but learn the process, creative thinking, grant writing, publishing, presenting, etc. You can easily accomplish this in 2nd/3rd/4th years. Plenty of people maintain their grades while doing research, its all about time management. For example, instead of watching TV for a few hours a week, spend a few hours in lab. Also a lot of bench work has down time and there are opportunities to study while doing research.

Keep in mind the deadlines as you consider these programs. Most, like the NIH med school program requires you to be done with 3rd year rotations, and the deadlines and application windows are very specific. This is what can trip up a lot of students. Hope this helps.

I am currently in the NIH program, and have absolutely been loving it. There is incredible research support and the program really pushes the students to design and carry out their own projects. We also have routine contact with pioneers in all fields of medicine.

Further, I applied thinking that I was also no-where near competitive for the program, yet hear I am. Apply. It costs you nothing.

Anyway, feel free to M me if you have questions about the program.

If your PI is not willing to fund you, you shouldn't work for them. It's as simple as that.

you can do (meta analysis researches)
then submit them to any conference for presentation
i think this is worth

Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I just have a few questions.

I'm finishing up a summer research project, and will be starting my second year of med school. I really enjoyed my project, and liked my PI, but all I have to show for it is negative results- no pubs, not even a poster. I go to an unranked med school, but am aiming for a top 10 IM program. I feel that the only way I have a shot at my dream IM program is to get, not only top grades, Step 1 score, and AOA, but also pubs. Another part of my desire for a research year is that I truly enjoy basic bench research.

I would really like to continue research with my current PI at my home institution, because she has a good history of publishing and mentoring students, but there is no funding at my school for a year off. I was looking into the HHMI and the NIH program, but I wonder if these are too competitive for someone like me--attending an unranked school. I also fear that I would be wasting my time and increasing my debt with a year off, which may not even lead to pubs and may not help me with residency, simply because I like basic bench research.

Any advice would be appreciate from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

Thanks