Research year between 3rd/4th year VS. Trying to match, failing, and then taking a research year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShahRukhKhan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm no expert at the match since I'm still a medical student myself who has not applied to the match yet. In the event that you fail to match, you could always matriculate into a transitional year or prelim program, continue research that year, and reapply to ophtho programs as an intern. In the event that you end up taking this route, you'd be able to show forth all the work you will do fourth year in ophtho. Don't forget you also have a solid five or six months to start research this year before you send in your applications. Also, the large majority of US seniors match, if that helps. I'm in the same boat with research - I only decided to do ophtho in January and am applying this year!

Last edited:
As someone who didn't match, crushed it in a research year, and then matched, I'd *still* say if you have to do a research year, do it between M3 and M4. It looks a LOT better. A LOT. Instead of being a failed candidate fighting the current, you'll look like a proactive clinician-scientist going the extra mile.

That said though, why do you think you won't match? From what you've told us, it seems like you'd have a solid chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the replies! The biggest reason I think I may have difficulty matching is because I am from a DO school, 2-3/4 class rank, and no ophtho experience/connections so far. That being said, there are a couple of people from my school in the classes ahead with similar board scores (but more experience) who have matched, and I would be able to do 1-2 aways before applying (and hopefully use these letters) and 2 after applying. I'm just confused because I don't know how to tell or who to ask to see if I'm competitive enough for the programs that I am looking into.

You'll be fine, like most others have stated (and as I have mentioned to you in previous posts). Don't forget that we have our own residency programs -- some of which are good programs. Unfortunately there is no crystal ball that will tell you if you are going to match in the future. Do the best with the cards you're dealt -- and if you WANT to take a year off to do research to better yourself and explore ophthalmology then absolutely do it.

Exactly what type of programs are you "looking into"?

Last edited:
Does your school have access to any program directors you could talk to? I thought it was pretty typical for people to speak to program directors in Ophtho at their own institution for advice (If you do aways, you should speak to PDs there). Our Dean demands we do so before we apply - it's a stated must. Exiting fourth years who just matched as well as your school's alumni should also be willing to open their doors for candid conversations. Exiting alumni set a template for what the path is to ophtho from your particular institution. Just follow their lead.

Definitely apply to both DO and MD residencies. DOs do face an extreme uphill battle in MD ophtho programs. I barely saw any on the trail, and even fewer amongst the current residents at programs. It's not impossible -- SdN has a small number of successful applicants, which you should definitely get in touch with -- but always have a backup plan!

Definitely apply to both DO and MD residencies. DOs do face an extreme uphill battle in MD ophtho programs. I barely saw any on the trail, and even fewer amongst the current residents at programs. It's not impossible -- SdN has a small number of successful applicants, which you should definitely get in touch with -- but always have a backup plan!

Everyone gives this blanket statement, but I just can't help but to somewhat disagree. A strong candidate is a strong candidate. If you are a DO with a 260, nice letters, and a good resume -- you'll be just fine. If you aren't as competitive, then yes, it is probably a more rigorous process. By default you are not coming from a top 10 medical school, and don't have a "home" ACGME program. But who isn't it tough for -- am I right elementals?

Otherwise good advice, and one should always have a back up plan whether it is playing a game of chess or applying for residency.