Research Year after MS4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

88pich14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m about to start MS4 and have recently decided to apply into ENT. I was originally interested in gen surg, but I just finished an ENT rotation and loved it. I attend a top 10 NIH school and have a 245 step 1 with honors in surg/med/peds/psych and high pass in ob-gyn/neuro. I presented one ENT poster at a national conference for a project I worked on the summer between M1-M2. I don’t have any other research. I know my stats are fairly average except for the lack of research. At this point, it’s too late for me to take a year off for research between M3 and M4. How would PD’s look at an applicant that deferred graduation to do a year of research after M4? Would this be similar to an applicant that did a research year between M3 and M4? I appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are pretty good other than the deficiency in research. Can you do a couple research months in the fall? You ought to be able to pound out a chart review study and a case report or two during that amount of time. Also, can your presentation from M1/M2 get published? Offer to write it up and submit it if it hasn't been already.