research while trauma surgeon or ER doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruthhh

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I wanted to be a trauma surgeon or an ER doc could I also work in like a toxicology lab or do research like that either throughout my residency or while I was a practicing physician? (without doing an MD/PhD program)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Um.... yes...

Develop skills so you have something to offer, select a residency w research opportunies and you're good

Um.... yes...

Develop skills so you have something to offer, select a residency w research opportunies and you're good

Thanks for expanding from your original post

Members don't see this ad :)
Toxicology is a subspecialty of emergency medicine.

Trauma Surgeons don't receive any formal training in toxicology.

Toxicology is a subspecialty of emergency medicine.

Trauma Surgeons don't receive any formal training in toxicology.
ya but like could u do both? (like extra training obviously but would it be like weird to do?)

ya but like could u do both? (like extra training obviously but would it be like weird to do?)

Most medical toxicologists remain board certified in EM and usually do both, because it's hard to sustain your livelihood with just Med Tox practice. There's a Med Tox subforum in the EM forum that is really helpful to take a look around in (I'd avoid posting in their since you're premed though).

Edit: And you can totally do Med Tox research on top if that's something you want. Having the Med Tox fellowship can help in finding academic positions in EM since it's one more thing you can offer a hospital.