Research question - should I try and work on case reports

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandoraone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am a student at Mayo who is interested in derm residency. Currently have passed all my classes and am dabbling in a little research.

For my CV and, in the long run, applying to derm, is it worth it to email physicians and residents asking for case reports? Realistically, I could probably complete 1-2 by summer time and ship them off for publication. Would it be worth the effort in terms of making me more competitive? And if I was to change my mind from derm, would it still hold value?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I am a student at Mayo who is interested in derm residency. Currently have passed all my classes and am dabbling in a little research.

For my CV and, in the long run, applying to derm, is it worth it to email physicians and residents asking for case reports? Realistically, I could probably complete 1-2 by summer time and ship them off for publication. Would it be worth the effort in terms of making me more competitive? And if I was to change my mind from derm, would it still hold value?

Thanks

Yes. Yes. Yes (but less than if they were in your new chosen field).

How long does it normally take to do a case report? And is it considered "real" research?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it normally take to do a case report? And is it considered "real" research?
One day and if you are slow then maybe two days. It should not take too long.

It isn't 'real' research. It is just an 'fyi, look what i saw in my clinic'. But it is better than nothing!

Agree with above, it should take a day, a week at the most (particularly if you are working with a resident on a case report project, try not to drag it out indefinitely). It is not considered real research but it depends what you are looking to do with the research. If you are otherwise an outstanding candidate and need something to place on your CV under the research category, case reports are fine. If you are trying to display genuine academic pursuits, it would not be in your best interest to do a couple of case reports and then wax on and on about academia during the interview season.

Hey,

Thanks

Definitely worth the effort. Probably still help regardless of your chosen field. Think of "low hanging fruits...."

Agree with above, it should take a day, a week at the most (particularly if you are working with a resident on a case report project, try not to drag it out indefinitely). It is not considered real research but it depends what you are looking to do with the research. If you are otherwise an outstanding candidate and need something to place on your CV under the research category, case reports are fine. If you are trying to display genuine academic pursuits, it would not be in your best interest to do a couple of case reports and then wax on and on about academia during the interview season.

Are chart reviews considered real research?

And lastly, is a text book chapter or review paper "higher" than a case report?