Research: Profs/Programs Looking At Online Behavior / Personas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyMac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of work in online marketing, figuring out what time of day people watch videos and do different kinds of web surfing. This goes hand in hand with Psychology. I'm preparing to take the GRE's and apply for an MA program in Counseling Psych.. but for the long term, I was wondering which PhD program would cater to studying the topic of human behavior online.. and if that even exists yet..?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ha, thanks, I was pretty unsure of that topic.. thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, please keep in mind that I do see myself writing self-help books and having a private practice (possibly web-based) in the future.

Jon Snow, angry at the Fielding :)

I dunno, it's great that those other programs include it in their studies. But I do see schools going in a more focused program in the future. Online media particularly, has a lot of opportunity for behavioral studies. Plus, it'd pay pretty well since your main clients would be big corporations.

I didn't doubt that.

I am interested in programs focused on media, and apparently Fielding has the only one. Not necessarily saying I'm going to run up to Santa Barbara and sign up, but it is interesting.

I didn't doubt that.

I am interested in programs focused on media, and apparently Fielding has the only one. Not necessarily saying I'm going to run up to Santa Barbara and sign up, but it is interesting.

There will probably be few if any clinical or couseling program faculty looking at this specfic area (time of day people watch online videos). This fits alot more with social psych. However, more work is being explore in the area of online behavior in terms of abnormal adjustment/identity issues, addictions, etc. within clinical psych. However, online based therapies have been researched to some extent, but there are so many ethical slippery slopes and clinical contraindications, it is in no way going to be a viable and legitimate practice anytime in the near future.

And i agree with Snow here, any program that makes a statement like that is not a "real" a Ph.D. program. It's NOT supposed to be easy! It's supossed to take sacrifice. The hard is what makes it great! If it was easy, everyone would do it!

Last edited:
A point of clarification.....*studying* human behavior in regard to the online environment is much different than doing it online, etc. There is a long history of heated arguments on here about online education, so just be aware that it is a hot button issue. As for looking at human behavior in regard to the online environment....I agree with Jon Snow about going to an electronic database and looking up citations to see what is out there, and who is doing it.

Also, I wouldn't count on having an "online private practice" (if you're referring to individuals, and not just corporations) for several reasons:

1) It's generally therapeutically contraindicated to do therapy online or over the phone on a regular basis, because you can't pick up on body language, affect (both in speech and facial expression), and behaviors. The only exceptions to this that I know of (that's done ethically) is video-conferencing psychiatric consultations in extremely rural areas where there is no psychiatrist.
2) If you're going to be a licensed psychologist, you often times cannot practice across state boundaries. It would be both an ethical and legal violation.
3) If you got a "media psychology" PhD (whatever that is, since its not a real subfield of psychology) and you're not licensed, you shouldn't be practicing online. Often times people who have excessive internet use have a form of impulse control disorder, or sometimes OCD/GAD, that needs to be treated by a licensed and competent psychologist.

I'm not saying you can't get a PhD and become a researcher on internet behavior or a consultant to corporations, but when any sort of therapy-like practice becomes involved, it's a whole different ballgame.

I'm not saying you can't get a PhD and become a researcher on internet behavior or a consultant to corporations, but when any sort of therapy-like practice becomes involved, it's a whole different ballgame.

+1.

Sometimes a clinician will have a phone session if they get stuck somewhere and a patient is in crisis, etc.

Agree that "online private practice" is pretty unlikely to happen anytime in the near future for ethical reasons. It may change down the road, but its going to be a rocky start.

That said, there are plenty of therapy COMPONENTS that may be made available online for dispersion. We tend to think of treatment as traditional therapy (i.e. come in, sit down, talk for an hour, come back next week) on this board. Replicating this online is tough. It can be even tougher for certain populations. That said, there are plenty of COMPONENTS of treatment that I don't think there would be any issue with offering online.

There are plenty of smoking cessation services available online. Pfizer's new drug, Chantix, actually has a program online that psychologists aided in developing that accompanies the Rx. I know Glaxo developed one as well that was published fairly recently. I'm sure it exists outside the smoking lit, that's just what I'm familiar with. Would you see it for severe depression? Probably not because of suicide risk, and numerous other factors.

However, these are not "private practice" type things where you charge on ongoing fee - the financial reality might be a different there. These are academics developing things for drug companies. I would call the above "treatment", but I wouldn't call it "therapy". If you're willing to move in that direction I think there's plenty of room for more work. You just need to be careful in how you approach it. You may only be able to look at certain disorders, certain populations, etc. Its out there though, and I haven't heard so much as a peep of controversy about the above so its not like its going to make you an outcast or anything.