Research Poster=Publication??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donuthole

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

The professor i do research with just put my name on a poster that he is presenting in a few weeks. It feels nice to have my name on a poster... never had that before, though i'm sure more than many of you have. I was wondering if that sort of counts as a publication? Does it count for anything? Does it look good at all? Is it something I'd want to mention to med schools now? Or is it not really a big deal?

THANK YOU!
donuthole

Members don't see this ad.

It shouldn't be classified as a "publication"--that usually refers to your article being published in a science journal.

However, it can be counted as a Poster presentation, which is also a good thing to put on your resume or med school app.

Thank you for your response, Caleb. Techinically though, I am not giving the presentation...my PI is. So can I really count it as a poster presentation? My name is just on it at the top, along with my PI's.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by donuthole
Thank you for your response, Caleb. Techinically though, I am not giving the presentation...my PI is. So can I really count it as a poster presentation? My name is just on it at the top, along with my PI's.

Thank you!

I think you can count it as a poster presentation, as long as you'll be able to explain the research if it comes up in your interviews.

Actually, if he is presenting a poster..than usually..his abstract had to also be accepted and peer reviewed...so it would be a type of publication.

If there is a book for the meeting and the abstract is there with the authors and you are listedn..then it's a publication..ask your PI for clarification

I am pretty sure a poster is not a publication. When filling out AMCAS, there are two seperate category options.."poster presentation" and "publication." You can let your interviewers know about the poster, just make sure you can talk about your data.

Reactions: 1 user
Originally posted by exigente chica
Actually, if he is presenting a poster..than usually..his abstract had to also be accepted and peer reviewed...so it would be a type of publication.

If there is a book for the meeting and the abstract is there with the authors and you are listedn..then it's a publication..ask your PI for clarification

an abstract can be considered a publication, but presenting a poster does not usually require an abstract.

Yeah, there's a poster and presentation option on the AMCAS.

But it's still good stuff. If you're presenting at a conference or your poster is being displayed at like the Neuroscience Symposium or American Epilepsy Society :p

A Poster is not peer-reviewed, so I wouldn't consider it a publication at all. It is a poster presentation, even if you're not presenting it.

Congratulations. I know it's really hard (and lucky, sometimes) to get your name on something. And publication or poster presentation, it's still a good thing on your resume.

What I don't understand is what people put on their AMCAS. I knew I would submit an abstract for the biophysical meeting on Oct 5. I wrote that I would submit an abstract on that date in my description of my Biophysical Society membership on the AMCAS. I have submitted it. I will make a poster for the meeting in January. I am now writing the manuscript for it and the paper will be submitted next month(Dec) either to the Biophysical Journal or JBC. The authors will be me and my advisor(I will be first author). I'll write another paper in March as a follow-up. I feel this could be considered poster, abstract, or published paper, but I can't say I did anything until interview season is practically over. Any thoughts?

tm

Originally posted by Rendar5

Congratulations. I know it's really hard (and lucky, sometimes) to get your name on something. And publication or poster presentation, it's still a good thing on your resume.

Amen. I think publication is 25% a good idea, 25% know-how, and 50% luck. The biological system sometimes just does not like cooperating.

Originally posted by antoniodlc
an abstract can be considered a publication, but presenting a poster does not usually require an abstract.

If it's just a poster..than its not a publication..but if an abstract had to be sent and it's in a book..then it's a form of a publication...again..ask your pi for clarification..

but, I guess on the AMCAS there is a different format for citing it..so follow that one.

Originally posted by toomuch
I feel this could be considered poster, abstract, or published paper, but I can't say I did anything until interview season is practically over. Any thoughts?

tm

Hi there--

At the time you submitted your AMCAS, it was nothing. Putting "Abstract submission planned" down on your CV is viewed as padding. Same goes for papers you plan to submit for publication.

IMHO, best thing to do would be to send in a letter with an update on your status whenever things change: e.g., when your poster is presented, when your paper is accepted for publication.

-AT.

No, poster is not a publication. But as long as you described it as a poster in AMCAS or whatnot, its not a problem.

most people divide their CV into these categories:

Grants awarded:

Abstracts:

Publications:

Oral Presentations:

lets say you had an abstract that was submitted to a conference for a poster, that would simply go into the abstracts category and not in the presentation category.

most conferences give you the option to submit for poster or oral, hence you may end up giving an oral presentation instead and i think it's good to point that out. of course, it's always nerve racking to get up infront of a bunch of experts. i rank an oral presentation as having more impact than an abstract.

obviously the place where you are submitting has alot of weight. if its some medical school summer project poster presentation, that has alot less impact than a peer-reviewed internationally recognized conference.

use the publications category just for journals.

I'm so confused (and maybe I should just ask my PI, but I'd feel stupid to ask him). So basically the poster we made was presented by our research team (the PI and other investigators, but not the student researchers) at the Gerontoligical Society of America conference in San Diego this past weekend. I did not present. I just contributed to the poster and thus my name is on it as an author. My PI also told me that my name will be on the abstract. I really don't know what this means. What is an abstract and how is it different from a publication? I thought an abstract precedes the introduction in an actual publication? I am totally confused here. Any responses will be helpful, as all of yours have been.

Thank you.

the abstract is a short summary of what your poster is about. it is published in a program brochure and is available at the conference. you do not count them seperately. you do not have to attend the conference yourself either. if your name was on it, then it counts. for this situation, you would put down:

Protein BOOBY interacts with telomerase-14.2A. in old geezers.
the 12451 international conference of old people
the W hotel-moscow, June 31, 2003.
richard, judy, YOUR NAME, Big Honcho PI name.

leave it under the abstracts, and you are done.

Thanks, Nuclear... sorry to be so persistent about finding my answers to this mystery of mine, but I was wondering--is an abstract publication only associated with a poster?

Another thing: So I saw my name on the actual poster, but when I looked on the GSA conference website, my name wasn't actually on the abstract!!! Horror of horrors!! My PI specifically told me a few weeks ago that he will ADD my name to the published abstract. So i'm assuming it had already been published and now he needs to add my name? Or maybe it was too late to add my name (since i didn't see it on the abstract). Yikes.

If my name is on the poster, does that mean that it automatically should be on the abstract? the poster and abstract say the exact same thing essentially.

Help?