research oppurtunities while in Aus med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaketheory

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i really want to go to med school in australia and am interested in pursuing research. anybody have experience or know anything about oppurtunities for being involved in research while in med school in aus? i've found a few schools offer a summer vacation scholarship program where you visit that school for the summer to do research (even if you are enrolled at a different school). i know USyd and ANU have a program like this. UQ has a similar program but they specifically told me it isnt open to grad entry MBBS students.

i know i could probably find a lab to work in at least voluntarily. id prefer to get something part time paid during the school year and then full time during summers though. handful of summer scholarships ive found either arent open to non-australians or they arent a formal program. by that i mean its not like at USyd where you'd apply to Usyd to particpate in the program, rather you arrange a lab and a project on your own and then apply for the scholarship. if you dont get it then you end up spending a whole summer on research with no income.

anyone with any info about possibilities for research at flinders?

all comments welcome.
cheers, jake

Members don't see this ad.

jaketheory said:
hi all,

i really want to go to med school in australia and am interested in pursuing research. anybody have experience or know anything about oppurtunities for being involved in research while in med school in aus? i've found a few schools offer a summer vacation scholarship program where you visit that school for the summer to do research (even if you are enrolled at a different school). i know USyd and ANU have a program like this. UQ has a similar program but they specifically told me it isnt open to grad entry MBBS students.

i know i could probably find a lab to work in at least voluntarily. id prefer to get something part time paid during the school year and then full time during summers though. handful of summer scholarships ive found either arent open to non-australians or they arent a formal program. by that i mean its not like at USyd where you'd apply to Usyd to particpate in the program, rather you arrange a lab and a project on your own and then apply for the scholarship. if you dont get it then you end up spending a whole summer on research with no income.

anyone with any info about possibilities for research at flinders?

all comments welcome.
cheers, jake

Hi Jake...if you're wondering about research opportunities that contribute towards an MBBS degree...some undergrad medical schools do allow for that...the 4th year at UNSW is solely dedicated to research - independent learning project. However, if you meet the criteria, you can upgrade to an Honors project in that 4th year and graduate at the end of 6 years with an additional BSc(Med)Hons degree...there are of course many vacation scholarships available at medical schools but I think most of the positions are snapped up by the medical students themselves...

Jake...

It is possible to do paid research at Flinders. When I was an undergrad there I worked on a project in the ID department (mostly data collection, formatting, etc.) and was paid for it. It was not scholarship based or in any way funded through the GEMP, but rather something I set up with the professor on my own.

Its been years, so I don't recall details of how I even got involved in it, other than I had some experience in the field (HIV research) and was looking to expand my research background and knew that this professor (no longer at Flinders) was working on something and looking for some research assistants.