research opps in aus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FowlersGap

The Original Knight Rider
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm looking for a month long research opp/clinical experience in australia, maybe a rural experience in the outback...between may and june

any help will be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck getting that! I spoke with the head of admissions at Flinders university and we had a long discussion on how difficult it is to work in the Northern Territory if you are an international student. What it boils down to is that they struggle with getting their own citizens to help out so they make it a priority to recruit Australians before international volunteers. I would look into the city of Darwin which is a large town but is also kinda rural in terms of location. Also, Alice Springs has a large hospital there and they are basically the biggest town in the middle of the country, give or take. Here is an e-mail, I hope it works. This woman works for a company that places americans in australian internships and study abroad programs. I tried to use the company, but they couldn't find an internship for me. If you go during the end of wet season (the end of our summer) you might be able to find more jobs as less people are on holiday. Her name is Enid Bird and her e-mail is [email protected] Good Luck

Really? Has it changed that much? I did a Rural Gen Surgery rotation in Alice Springs (loved it BTW) and saw many international students there...mostly non-surgical rotations.

Since Flinders has relationships with US schools and operates the clinical school in the NT, I would contact them to see if an elective is possible. A research elective is probably easier to get because you wouldnt' be competing against many others, don't have to worry about malpractice coverage (which does exist in Oz as well), etc.