Research opportunity advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManuNastai

Skinner to be..
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I need some advice, for I don't know what should I do next. I'll try to write here my story:

I'm a 4th years Med Student from Romania wishing to do a residency in the US. I've taken my step 1 exam and I plan to take my Step 2 durring the 5th year (our medical educational system is 6 years long). I wanted to add something to my CV so I sent emails to a lot of US Professors volunteering in their research projects. I wanted to do 3 months of research durring this summer, get a LoR, or maybe a publication and after that come back home to finish my studies. I got a response yesterday and I don't know what else to do next. Here is my mail:

Dear Dr X:
My name is ManuNastai and I am a 4th year medical student from Romania. I am writing you in order to volunteer in your research lab. I have a great interest in bla-bla in general and in bla-bla-bla in particular. I've also taked the USMLE Step 1 exam and scored 95/235.
My great interest in this field has lead me to the desire to contact you, and ask if you have a position for me in your projects. I'm prepared to put
all my efforts and sacrifice long hours in the lab in order to be able to "quench my thirst" for knowledge in this particular field.
I attached my CV. I would love to work with you, for I find this opportunity extremely valuable for my future career. I can guarantee is my full dedication and love for my work. Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely...

In my CV i wrote my Step 1 score and 4 participations in the National Chemistry Contests durring the high-school where I got a second and an 8th place. Also I wrote that my expected graduation date is in 2009.

Here is his answer:

Greetilngs==

Thank you for your note. Usually we only accept volunteers for the
lab who can stay for a full year. But you seem to be excelptionally
well qualified. We could accept you now with the hope that you might
come for a longer time later.

If you need a formal letter of invitiation please let me know.

now... this is a very big professor with many publications and extremly impresive background and I'd hate to lose this opportunity.

I don't understand what he is offering me. Is he offering my a lab assistant job, lab technician, or what? Also, for how long? Does he offer me a temporary job, a few months and wishes for me to come back after I'll graduate or is he offering me a full year? Some of my friends told me to freeze my year after I'll finish this year (in July) and go to work with him for a full year, 'cause there is a huge chance of geting a publication.. I would hate to lose this opportunity and I'd be willing to do this, if necesary.

Also, what does he mean with that formal letter of invitation? Is he sponsoring my visa for a full year?

I don't want to sound rude or greedy, because money are the last on my mind, but living in the US for a year not paid would be very difficult for me. By saying "volunteer" he means he'll not pay me, right? Again, please understand I'm not thinking of nothing else than being able to pay for rent and food or part of it and that's it. Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like he thinks you will be volunteering (as per your post). That means you will work for free - no payment. It's good for you if you do not have much research experience, but much better for him.

thanks.. what I want to find out are more details. I don't know what he knows about me, but I'm afraid of asking the wrong questions. so, here's what I thought (please tell me what you guys think):

he offered to send me an invitation. I was thinking to write back, tell him how delighted I am for the offer, tell him that I want hom to send the letter and also to give me the contact information of a person that i could contact to give me more administrative information, so I won't bother him with those.. and I could ask all those questions that person..

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks.. what I want to find out are more details. I don't know what he knows about me, but I'm afraid of asking the wrong questions. so, here's what I thought (please tell me what you guys think):

he offered to send me an invitation. I was thinking to write back, tell him how delighted I am for the offer, tell him that I want hom to send the letter and also to give me the contact information of a person that i could contact to give me more administrative information, so I won't bother him with those.. and I could ask all those questions that person..

ManuNasatai - He is offering you what you exactly asked for, basically a summer research fellowship with him, of course, it is on volunteer basis (as you have mentioned the word "volunteer" on you email, so there will be no pay). Furthermore, it sounds like that he takes students for a year long fellowships at his lab, and he sounds interested to have you as a fellow for a year long, perhaps at a later time when you decide so. If you are not planning to work with him for a year long research fellowship, send him an email showing your excitement and enthusiasm for the fact that he has aaccepated your offer, and discuss some of the details that you are interested to know before moving there for your summer research. Additionally, you can mention to him that you liked the idea of one full year research, and greatly appreciate the opportunity that he is offering you; perhaps once you graduate med school, you will give serious consideration for this offer, but for now you are more concerned for this summer research volunteer that you would like to do. If you are interested in doing a full year research fellowship, just simply ask him about the details, you can resepectfully ask him whether such fellowship would be able to give you stipend duering your stay in the lab as you are a student, and of course would not be able afford a whole year expense of living in the US. About for what position he wants to have you in the lab; it is understood a medical student showing enthusiasm for research is not seeking for technician or secretary work; researchers clearly know that you are interested to get your foot into conducting research, learning research methods, and of course getting published. A summer reseach is a short time for you getting publication as a first autor, but it is likely that you will get a second or so on publication as you contribute to one of his projects. You don't need to discuss your position at the lab with him since you have already mentioned in your initial email that what you are interested in, and again you are a medical student seeking for career development. Don't hesitate to email him back and show your appreciation and interest, and ask him any questions you have; don't worry you don't offend them, they have been in you shoes one day too, and they appreciate your eagerness, curiosity, as well your well communication skills by asking direct questions while showing your genuine intention and respect.
Good luck to you.

Thanks Brany, I found your post to be very helpfull. I wrote back and now I wait for good news which should come monday, i hope. good luck to everybody.