Research Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aamartin81

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to med school this summer and am interested in plastic surgery. I am curious as to whether there are research opportunities in plastic surgery available at most schools or if there are only a handful that offer such positions to students. Is there a strong benefit to attending a school with an integrated/combined residency? Can that be overcome by doing an away rotation at such a school? I appreciate your help.

Adam

Members don't see this ad.

i did not do any plastics research as a student or resident...and i regret not doing it...i did a bunch of clinical gen surg papers...

research is important for any competetive specialty...frankly, i don't think program directors in plastics are overtly concerned that you have not done any plastics research...they just want to know that their new trainee is capable of taking a project and making it into something..presentation, paper etc...

platics research is actually a very broad field...any center with a burn unit is going to have loads of clinical projects that a med student could get involved with...simply make an appointment with one of the burn docs and announce your intentions...i'm sure they would be happy to get you involved in a clinical project...wound healing is another topic that is quite broad and productive, in terms of published research...approach the plastics or derm department heads to get yourself involved...

i think a paper in PRS or a presentation at a plastics meeting would enhance your plastics application immensely, but i can tell you from personal experience, its not mandatory...

just publish SOMETHING

TNS

Thank you, I appreciate the help. I was looking at some of the hand and face transplant work being done at Louisville and wondered what kind of experience some of you had as students before applying to residency. It sounds like most schools will offer relevant opportunities.

Adam

Members don't see this ad :)
Would a LOR from a Chair of a Derm dept work for integrated plastics programs, or should all of the letters be from PRS or General surgeons? Thanks for the help

i would NOT submit a letter of rec from a derm doc to a plastics program, especially if you don't know him well.

all LORs should come from surgeons, or a preceptor-type primary care doc that knows you very well (if you're applying out of med school)

TNS