Research opportunities for college graduates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Josh

I'm taking two years off before med school. I need to go to summer school and complete some pre-reqs so i can't apply this year. By the time i can start med school it will be aslmost two years. I am not looking for a summer researtch project as I'll be in summer school. Anyone know of anything for the fall and thereafter? I live in NY so anything like in Manhattan or Long Island would be ideal. Otherwise I need to pay for housing. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking two years off before med school. I need to go to summer school and complete some pre-reqs so i can't apply this year. By the time i can start med school it will be aslmost two years. I am not looking for a summer researtch project as I'll be in summer school. Anyone know of anything for the fall and thereafter? I live in NY so anything like in Manhattan or Long Island would be ideal. Otherwise I need to pay for housing. Thanks.

I'm not from the area, but I'm sure that you can find something at any university/medical center. If you don't have any experience, you would have to start doing things other than research. But, if you show interest and get people to teach you things, you could start doing more technical work.

If you have a field of interest, go on the internet and start contacting labs to see if they have any openings. If you are really interested in research, look at Cold Spring Harbor (Long Island, I think), the Rockefeller, Columbia, Cornell, etc. There are a ton of labs in NYC.

Thanks Circumflex.

And wow 90 people read my thread and only one person could say anything regarding the topic?

Members don't see this ad :)
NIH IRTA fellowship my friend. I can't believe nobody mentioned that. I am (hopefully) going to be doing that this year while I apply to med school. That is all you need to know. Look it up.

im from ny too and im doing nih irta right now (living in baltimore, working in bethesda) while applying. my husbands in school in maryland so it worked out great for me. but coming from ny id really see why you wouldnt necessarily want to move down here, but someone mentioned the rockefeller institute earlier in the thread. thats a good idea, or try sloan kettering in the same area. you can also check the NYCDOH website. I did the "health research training program" through them as an undergrad. im pretty sure they have a similar post-bac program. NYU SOM on 34th also has some really great basic science and clinical labs.