Research opportunities at top Canadian schools for US medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardiologist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a permanent resident of Canada who will be starting medical school in the US this fall. However, I need to be back to Canada sometime in the next few years to maintain my residency, that is I will have to physically live in Canada for some time. The only way i can do that, without taking time off from med school will be by doing research for a year at a renowned Canadian institution. I want to do research while in med school anyways because it's a great way to become more competitive for residency programs. And if i can do it in Canada and convince my med school that the research is top notch, i guess i can kill two birds with one stone (or that's what i hope so atleast).

Hence I would really appreciate any help from you all about finding research programs like this especially at schools like Mcgill or UofToronto since these are already big on research. Can people please advice me how i can find info about possible research with Faculty? Those of you already involved in research at these institutions, if you could shed some light to my dilemma, i would really appreciate it. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

medical schools in canada aren't exactly "ranked" as u seem to imply they are. u really wouldn't have to limit urself to just those two (or any number of) schools. good stuff happens at a number of schools, such as UBC, alberta, western, dalhousie etc. etc.

But major centres undoubtedly have more breadth and depth of research opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
and i guess cardiologist has the perogative to be picky about where he wants to go?

heck - forget about studying at UT - why don't you suggest he just give up his citizenship and go to Harvard?