research lab "code of ethics"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowwoman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently graduated and just got hired by a big lab as a full-time RA and will be starting my job next week.

Does anyone have any experiences to share about how to not ruffle the supervisor's feathers?

I am a punctual person, so I definitely will arrive early (and stay late), and I take good notes, so I already plan to use a log-book to keep track of the work I'm doing for meetings and stuff (e.g., procedures, protocols, lab rules, bumps in the road when performing experiments, observations, etc.).

And what do people generally wear for psychiatry/psychology labs in hospitals? The previous labs I was in I could basically wear anything I want since I was a student and the profs didn't enforce a dress-code. My co-worker-to-be said "lab casual"...Are jeans ok?

Thanks!

p.s., sorry if this is not the best forum for this

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I recently graduated and just got hired by a big lab as a full-time RA and will be starting my job next week.

Does anyone have any experiences to share about how to not ruffle the supervisor's feathers?

I am a punctual person, so I definitely will arrive early (and stay late), and I take good notes, so I already plan to use a log-book to keep track of the work I'm doing for meetings and stuff (e.g., procedures, protocols, lab rules, bumps in the road when performing experiments, observations, etc.).

And what do people generally wear for psychiatry/psychology labs in hospitals? The previous labs I was in I could basically wear anything I want since I was a student and the profs didn't enforce a dress-code. My co-worker-to-be said "lab casual"...Are jeans ok?

Thanks!

p.s., sorry if this is not the best forum for this

Dress code really depends on the lab, the kind of work that is being done, etc. Sure, in some labs people are wearing jeans and flip flops. It would be safe for you to wear business casual on the first day and see how the others dress. Dressing slightly up will not make you the subject of total mockery if everyone else is wearing jeans and halter tops, and if everyone is wearing suits then you will at least look presentable.