Research in North Carolina ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slim06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm in a bit of a pickle and wonder if anyone could help me out. I'm looking for an interesting research project in the Durham/Chapel Hill part of North Carolina.

My fiancee (and soon-to-be wife) accepted a one year position there and I'd like to be with her for our first year of marriage.

I've been accepted to several medical schools, but would like to defer my accpetance. The medical school says that I need to have a compelling project in order to defer. Does anyone know of any projects or positions in that area? Or even contacts? They could be paid or unpaid (depending on the time commitment).

I've got skills in databases/programming/project management, patient contact, some molecular biology, got a chemistry degree from a top school, good grades, MCATs, etc. I've been working here at UCSF's cancer center, so I know something about academic medical centers, etc. I'm open to the exact nature of it.

Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations and good luck.

Of course there are plenty of places and labs to do research around here. The problem is that you've used a pretty broad brush to describe yourself. Short of posting your resume (I may request it later, or you can send it to me by email), what specific projects or areas do you have experience in?

What's wrong with doing research at your fiancee's institution? I'm sure there is someone in that program who could help you find some work there. (Nothing wrong if you did decide to go outside and say find a good industry job.)

slim06 said:
Hi Folks,
I'm in a bit of a pickle and wonder if anyone could help me out. I'm looking for an interesting research project in the Durham/Chapel Hill part of North Carolina.

My fiancee (and soon-to-be wife) accepted a one year position there and I'd like to be with her for our first year of marriage.

I've been accepted to several medical schools, but would like to defer my accpetance. The medical school says that I need to have a compelling project in order to defer. Does anyone know of any projects or positions in that area? Or even contacts? They could be paid or unpaid (depending on the time commitment).

I've got skills in databases/programming/project management, patient contact, some molecular biology, got a chemistry degree from a top school, good grades, MCATs, etc. I've been working here at UCSF's cancer center, so I know something about academic medical centers, etc. I'm open to the exact nature of it.

Thank you so much for your help!

There are tons of research opportunities at UNC and Duke....contact various labs and they are mostly in need of people....free is always welcome :)

Jusst go to the unc med school website ... and various departents and look for research opps and I think it should be similar at Duke....

PM me if you need further help.... Good luck ....