research in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbing

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've heard some of my friends say that they prefer one school over another because one school is research oriented and the other is more primary care oriented. what i don't get is how a medical student will have time to do research, and if so isn't it only going to be limited to clinical research? i mean, if you want to do any meaningful basic science research, my understanding is that med school is not the place to do it, go get your phd or something. so basically im wondering if people do research in med school and what the nature of it is. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a number of options for doing research while in medical school. You're correct that most students only do clinical research in medical school, but the amount and quality of clinical research is often reflected in the amount of NIH money received. It tends to be that schools strong in basic science research are also strong in clinical research, and as a result "research oriented" typically means either. Many students take a summer to do research, and typically this is clinical research as doing basic science in a summer tends not to yield much results. However, some students will also do a year out to do basic science research, and this looks very good on a residency application. This means that you do not have to get a PhD to do meaningful basic science research. Options for either summers or years of research will depend on the amount of research going on at that school and the amount of money available for medical students to persue that research. Some primary care oriented schools may not have as many options or as much funding for their medical students to persue these things.

Just as an aside, the most competitive residency programs are very research oriented and tend to pick students who have done research. Besides that, it's no mistake that the schools who bear the most weight (whatever weight that is is arguable) when it comes time to apply are the schools that have the most research going on. One could argue that academically based programs will breed academically based physcians. It's an even stronger argument that primary care oriented schools are trying to produce primary care physcians, and therefore training to become researchers or academic physicians may be lacking.

None of these opinions are set in stone and they're all generalizations that won't apply in every case. Still, I think it reflects why one might choose a medical school strong in research.

Good luck!

PS: mmz6 is right. I never did mention MD/PhD, but all the top research schools have MD/PhD programs. Also, there are a few students who start or continue to do research (clinical or basic science) during medical school classes. I think they're insane, but it is possible.

no.. u can do basic science or clinical research.. watever u want..

and lots of skools (that i've been to) have 3 different ways for med students to get into research...

1) md/phd- crazy amount of research
2) year off- take a year and just do research (have a distinction in research on your degree)
3) research during the summer and during your electives in 3rd year- least amount of research, but enough to do a simply experiment/synthesize data/clinic survey or sum thing. if you do good stuff.. u can get distinction in research on your degree too.
4) not official.. but im sure if u like.. u can do research on your own time... if u find a willing prof. med students (they tell me) have time for a life and to do community service work or something they like (extracurriculars)... you can give all that up to do research.

peace,
mmz6