Research funding during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annette

gainfully employed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much funding do you get to do research? My program gives $500/year, and you can apply for another $5000. The study I'm wanting to do will need a budget of ~$700,000. And it isn't that big of a study!!!!!! (damned echos are expensive!) It isn't a drug study, so that won't help. I would prefer not to struggle with an NIH grant. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

$700,000 (or more, if you haven't already figured in indirects) would be a challenge for a seasoned faculty member to get, and if it is really a small study it will be hard to convince funders that it is worth all the money. If the project is researching something with a strong nonprofit (or profit) interest, it is possible that they'll have more money available, but it will still be hard to convince them that that much money should go to a small study from an unproven researcher (unless you were a faculty member before going to med school and have gotten funding and published on the topic previously). I'm not trying to put you down at all-you should keep your idea on the back burner, but maybe try something more modest in cost initially. Have you talked to someone in your area of research about your ideas? Maybe you can get some developmental funds, or pilot funding, so you'll have some data or background for the preliminary studies. Or maybe analyze some data already available? Or follow patients who were getting echos anyway? Your institution may also have info on non-NIH funding sources. Good luck!