Research for Credit and Independent Reading - BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyOdyssey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been through AMCAS verification, has your biology research for credit course been treated as BCPM?

What about your biology independent reading for credit course? Has that been treated as BCPM?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven’t been through AMCAS but I’ve asked and looked it up online. No. Research credits are not counted towards BCPM

I haven’t been through AMCAS but I’ve asked and looked it up online. No. Research credits are not counted towards BCPM

Thanks but the AMCAS guide for applicants doesn't exclude lab oriented science courses. Otherwise, there'd be no BCPM credit for stand alone organic chemistry/physics/chemistry/biology lab courses, which would be a very odd result since science is really about what you can uncover from data generated through experiments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks but the AMCAS guide for applicants doesn't exclude lab oriented science courses. Otherwise, there'd be no BCPM credit for stand alone organic chemistry/physics/chemistry/biology lab courses, which would be a very odd result since science is really about what you can uncover from data generated through experiments.

I wasn’t referring to the lab. If the courses are “lab” courses then they definitely count towards the GPA. However, if you’re refering to “research for credits” where you conduct research and it’s usually assigned as P/F then no. Those do not count.

Mine counted.....

Reactions: 1 user
Wait... the Pass/Fail courses counted towards BCPM? I thought Pass/Fail and S/US did not count.

@gonnif can you please clear this up?

Wait... the Pass/Fail courses counted towards BCPM? I thought Pass/Fail and S/US did not count.

@gonnif can you please clear this up?

My research for credit was A-F grading scale not P/F

Reactions: 1 users
My research for credit experiences are all graded A-F, like any normal science class, and they all have an academic component. You have to write a short proposal stating the goals of your research at the beginning of the semester followed by a paper/poster laying out what you've accomplished at the end of the semester.

Thanks to all who have responded regarding research for credit.

Has anyone experienced how AMCAS treats an independent reading course in biology (basically reading biology primary literature articles and discussing them with a mentor)? Has AMCAS treated this as BCPM as well?