Research experience VS observership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderer HitchHiker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'm an IMG with 5 years training in IM at my home country. I was wondering which is more influential in my resume ,If i have to choose one, a 6:12 months lab research experience with possible pubs or 1:3 months observership in my specialty of interest.
Also regarding the VISA issue B1/B2 VS J1 will there be any future impact during match?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It depends how much, if any, US clinical experience you have. You need to have at least some USCE, and if you have literally none then you need to do the observership. If you have other USCE, and the research is at an institution where you could get your foot in the door and make connections to realistically match, then that might be a better option.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends how much, if any, US clinical experience you have. You need to have at least some USCE, and if you have literally none then you need to do the observership. If you have other USCE, and the research is at an institution where you could get your foot in the door and make connections to realistically match, then that might be a better option.

I don't have any USCE, so I assume that you'd recommend the observership

I don't have any USCE, so I assume that you'd recommend the observership
Correct. It's unfortunate, because as WS mentions it would be best obviously if you could have both--I'm not sure if 1-3 months of observership will be enough, but it's better than nothing. It's good that you've been practicing medicine in your home country, so at least your clinical skills presumably are up to snuff.

Reactions: 1 users