Research Experience: both student researcher and research scientist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minionphil

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a question about how to input my research experience. I started doing research junior year in undergrad, continued in the same research lab during my Master's degree, and now I work in the same research lab as a research scientist. Should this experience be included under "research experience" or "work experience," or should I just repeat myself and put this down in both categories?

Also, I realize that the character limit for activities is ~170? That's maybe one sentence... I have three publications, is there anywhere in the application where I can put that down?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't double dip with your experiences. Either pick one or the other. Were you working on the same project the entire time? You could probably break it up between your UG/Master's research and your paid position.

You can discuss your research in your PS if you'd like, but do your best to get the most of out of the limited characters you're provided with. You don't get any other sections to discuss those experiences. You will have the interviews to discuss your experience further if the interviewer is interested.

Don't double dip with your experiences. Either pick one or the other. Were you working on the same project the entire time? You could probably break it up between your UG/Master's research and your paid position.

You can discuss your research in your PS if you'd like, but do your best to get the most of out of the limited characters you're provided with. You don't get any other sections to discuss those experiences. You will have the interviews to discuss your experience further if the interviewer is interested.
Thanks! I worked on different projects for UG, Master's, and paid position. By "break up," do you mean putting down 2 research experiences, one for UG and one for Master's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I worked on different projects for UG, Master's, and paid position. By "break up," do you mean putting down 2 research experiences, one for UG and one for Master's?
Or you can clump both the UG and Masters together depending on how similar your projects were. Or break them all up individually like you said. What I'm getting at though is that you don't want to have the same exact experience under both research and work.

Or you can clump both the UG and Masters together depending on how similar your projects were. Or break them all up individually like you said. What I'm getting at though is that you don't want to have the same exact experience under both research and work.
Got ya. Thanks a lot!

I would separate your masters research and undergrad research.

Wow @minionphil 26 AA!!?? That in and of itself can get you into so many schools lol.

Good luck getting in!

-Fyz

Reactions: 1 user
you can use PMID #s to save characters

Definitely split your experience. Don't clump; it undermines your experience and research. Just allocate the hours accordingly, ex. if you spent 200 hours doing UG research and 350 hours of masters research separate them out and put a description that will entail that.

Definitely split your experience. Don't clump; it undermines your experience and research. Just allocate the hours accordingly, ex. if you spent 200 hours doing UG research and 350 hours of masters research separate them out and put a description that will entail that.

Thanks a lot! :)