research btw 3rd and 4th year in NY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JdT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a third year med student. I understand that matching to ANY derm program is a blessing, and that it is not wise to limit oneself geographically. With that said, I am at a midwest med school with a good derm program, late interest in derm, and a fiancé that lives in NY and is unable to relocate. I was told by the chairman of my home program (by email, I don't actually know him) that it might be wise to do a year of research between 3rd and 4th year, since I don't have any research experience in derm. I was thinking that if this were my plan, it might be beneficial to do my year of research at an east coast school--with the understanding that it MIGHT better my chances at matching in NY (or nearby), but understanding that it might not, and that it might actually hurt my chances at my home program.

I have contacted some people at east coast derm programs, but the deadlines for NIH and Doris Duke programs have passed, and I need to find my own means of funding. Are there grant programs I may not be aware of?

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like a good idea. If you are unable to find another grant program (sorry I don't know of any others), then I would recommend doing the research at your home program and getting to know the chairman a little better.

A good recommendation from the chairman is probably very beneficial too!

Thanks so much for the response. I'm unsure if there would even be grant money at my home department. I will definitely look into this. I know that I am most likely shooting myself in the foot by not taking advantage of having a home derm program, but it has been 4 years since I have lived in the same location as my fiance. An additional year of debt and long-distance relationship, and no additional hope of increasing my chances of matching on the east coast, is definitely a negative. However, if I know that derm is what I want to do, I have to make sacrifices, right? I'm starting to think that it might be better to eat an additional year of loans and see if I could do a research project in NY or nearby uncompensated. I still would be accruing debt, but I would be doing research (which I really want to do regardless), I'll get to actually be in the same location as my fiance, and I would still have the hope of maybe improving my chances of matching out east...so if you see a cardboard box on 34th and 1st next year, that's where I'll be staying.

Seriously, if anyone knows of any research opportunities or grants, please let me know. Any opinions or suggestions are great too.

Members don't see this ad :)
JdT said:
Thanks so much for the response. I'm unsure if there would even be grant money at my home department. I will definitely look into this. I know that I am most likely shooting myself in the foot by not taking advantage of having a home derm program, but it has been 4 years since I have lived in the same location as my fiance. An additional year of debt and long-distance relationship, and no additional hope of increasing my chances of matching on the east coast, is definitely a negative. However, if I know that derm is what I want to do, I have to make sacrifices, right? I'm starting to think that it might be better to eat an additional year of loans and see if I could do a research project in NY or nearby uncompensated. I still would be accruing debt, but I would be doing research (which I really want to do regardless), I'll get to actually be in the same location as my fiance, and I would still have the hope of maybe improving my chances of matching out east...so if you see a cardboard box on 34th and 1st next year, that's where I'll be staying.

Seriously, if anyone knows of any research opportunities or grants, please let me know. Any opinions or suggestions are great too.

I know how you feel. I had to live apart from my now husband (then fiance) throughout medical school and it really was painful. I also did a year of research but I was able to make the deadline for HHMI medical student fellowship which allowed me to be in the same place as he was for that year. I am not doing derm but to increase your chance of matching there, I would think you should do the research in one of the NY schools. Try e-mailing derm faculty with large labs in all the NY schools and I am sure you will be able to find someone who can provide the funding. Good Luck!!!

Can't think of any obvious funding sources offhand, but your idea is certainly otherwise sound. I'd recommend NYC and Columbia as probably the best options. If you're into basic (esp. molecular) sciences there's of course Rockefeller. However, there's opportunities at all the NYC area schools. Try to contact the labs and see if perhaps you can't work out the funding issue together.