Research and Orthodontics residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreBananaGurl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in doing research, and have made it a goal to get a publication by the end of my time in school. I was wondering, do we have to do dental related research to get into ortho residency? I have always been interested in neuroscience and so I am looking for a lab at a med school or state school near my campus. I wanted to know if it would be okay to have research in anything, or does it have to be dental related? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Good questions, I'm also interested in this. My guess is dental related, ortho ideally, but I know it's tough to get that.

It would help if it’s dental related or basic biomed sciences within the dental school. I think it would be hard to do research outside of dental school if it isn’t within the school since they can help make accommodations for time to let you get some research done.

Hi! Did you actually enroll in dental school? I don't see any signs you got accepted.

This should be a question asked at interview, but you should be able to tell from the dental school's dean of research and the curriculum. Some of the "brand schools" have dental students take classes beside medical students, but I don't know if they get the same sort to do research as the medical students. There are programs for research at the NIH/NIDCR, but only if your curriculum allows you to take a summer or year off. Most dental students don't participate as a result.

Check with AADR/IADR and whether there are faculty at the schools you want to attend or are attending who present there frequently.

Check with the ortho residents who graduated from US dental schools.