Rescheduling when on a waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say you have scheduled for January 4th, and you are on a waitlist for Dec 4th (because that is your first choice). After how much time is it appropriate to call the PC and find out if that slot has opened up (and at what frequency), or do you just wait for them to inform you?

Members don't see this ad.

Say you have scheduled for January 4th, and you are on a waitlist for Dec 4th (because that is your first choice). After how much time is it appropriate to call the PC and find out if that slot has opened up (and at what frequency), or do you just wait for them to inform you?

Usually, they inform you once the slot opens. If you're on the waitlist and you're next in line, you would be filled right into the slot. Frequency of calling depends on what time of the month it is. For example, right now, people are less likely to change their slot. But in late November, when more people know which interviews they will go on, they will start cancelling interviews. Hope that helps.

I'm in the same boat...I will probably wait until November before I pick up the phone again, but I wouldn't be shy about asking again to show that you really want that date (and the current date you have just isn't good for your schedule). Program Administrators have a ton on their hands already, juggling everyone's rescheduling requests. It's easy to fall through the cracks; it has happened to me a couple times already. Of course, be extremely polite and apologetic, but you probably knew that already :)

And if you're interviewing at places that other people are unlikely to cancel at, then it's even more crucial to be proactive about trying to change your date and not counting on someone else to cancel...

I'm in the same boat...I will probably wait until November before I pick up the phone again, but I wouldn't be shy about asking again to show that you really want that date (and the current date you have just isn't good for your schedule). Program Administrators have a ton on their hands already, juggling everyone's rescheduling requests. It's easy to fall through the cracks; it has happened to me a couple times already. Of course, be extremely polite and apologetic, but you probably knew that already :)

And if you're interviewing at places that other people are unlikely to cancel at, then it's even more crucial to be proactive about trying to change your date and not counting on someone else to cancel..

Yes, I agree. That is an issue at times. The problem with these places is that I obviously dont want to annoy them and develop a not-so-good reputation even before the interview day....