Rescheduling interview dates-- impolite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I was too eager about initial interview invites and scheduled them the same day I received them. I unwittingly scheduled one of my top programs early on and think it might be my first interview.

I know I have enough time to change the date of my interview, but I don't want the program ppl to think I'm indecisive or worse, that I'm a flake. What is the general consensus about interview date changes? The committee doesn't keep track of this, does it? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

No. Obviously people reschedule all the time. Jut give them enough time to fill the slot and no big deal.

No. Obviously people reschedule all the time. Jut give them enough time to fill the slot and no big deal.

good point. The other thing I'm wondering is, if an interview date is available the week of thanksgiving (not the holiday obviously, but the days leading up to it), should I go for it? None of my other programs offer any interviews that week so I know there won't be a conflict. But I worry that some of the faculty and residents may also take time off, and thus I won't get the full experience (and not as many people will know me). Have any others had this dilemma come up?

good point. The other thing I'm wondering is, if an interview date is available the week of thanksgiving (not the holiday obviously, but the days leading up to it), should I go for it? None of my other programs offer any interviews that week so I know there won't be a conflict. But I worry that some of the faculty and residents may also take time off, and thus I won't get the full experience (and not as many people will know me). Have any others had this dilemma come up?

I don't know the answer to this question as I'm in the same shoes as you. But, I saw someone else posted an answer at the end of this thread. Might help.

Also, when scheduling interviews around holidays, be sure to look into the cost of traveling. I remember scheduling a medical school interview on Dec 23 and having to reschedule because plane tickets were $200+ more expensive than usual. Likewise, driving can be much more of a hassle if more people are traveling.

I rescheduled a bunch of interviews, and cancelled a few as well. Just give the program as much advance notice as possible...in other words, be polite.

I never ran into a problem with rescheduling (unless that date I wanted to change to was already full).