Requirements for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JA_Perez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what are the minimal requirements in general in order to be accepted in a good radiology residency?

USMLE Step 1 and 2
Research
Class standing
AOA

Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to reply to the original post with aother question but I figured this is a good thread to ask. What are some fourth year electives you would consider taking in preparation for applying to radiology. Aside from the radiology/interventional radiology electives what others are important.

This question is often asked, but unfortunately there's no good answer. All those things matter. The bottom line is that radiology keeps getting more competitive so if you want it, you'll have to do the same. As you're getting closer to your fourth year, sit down with someone you trust who will candid with you (your advisor, Dean of Student Affairs, the Rads PD, etc) and ask for their honest advise about your propects. In the meantime, work as hard as you can.

As for the electives, I don't know that they would make any difference. Interventional or ped rads are the other options at our university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, Rads. I scored a 235 on the Step I and I'm interested in a residency somewhere in the Northeast area. Any advice?

Apply all over the place. The speciality has gotten so competitive that even the less desirable programs are filling with great candidates and as a result, they've become stronger programs and are now more desirable.

As for your chances and what you should do from here, I can't say. I would advise anyone to think beyond the grades & board scores. Those are baseline requriments since the programs have such good candidates who all have great numbers. Often the final deciding factor becomes less tangible. Things like personality, maturity and some basic understanding of the profession are all strong considerations for many program directors.