Requirements for 0-6 Pharmacy program?

jvanewportnews

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been searching online for quite a while now, and I can't seem to find any information on the average GPA, scores, ec's, and other things on accepted applicants into the 0-6 pharmacy programs. Could anyone, especially accepted people, give me any information on required "stats" and also tell me my chances of acceptance also?

GPA
FRESHMAN: 3.7
SOPHOMORE: 3.5
JUNIOR:

Classes
FRESHMAN:
H English 9
H World History Beginning to 1400 A.D.
H Earth Science
H Geometry
H Spanish 2
PE
Symphonic Band

SOPHOMORE:
H English 10
AP World History
H Biology 1
H Algebra 2
H Spanish 3
Driver Education/Health/P.E.
Concert Band (lowest band possible)

Expected schedule:
Junior:
AP English Lang.
AP U.S. History
H Chemistry
CC Precalc + Trig (Dual Enrollment course)
H Spanish 4
Band
CC Physics

Senior:
AP English Lit (Maybe CC)
AP U.S. Gov
AP Chemistry
AP Calculus AB
AP Spanish
Ap Biology
Band?

Extracurricular Activities:
Freshman:
Marching Band-TRUMPETS!
Junior Honors Society

SOPHOMORE:
Junior Honors Society
PTSA
In the summer between 10th and 11th grade I shadowed a dentist and started cross country.

How many more extracurricular activities do I need or is the amount that I have now good?
What SAT score should I be shooting for?

I plan to apply to:
VCU
UVA
Howard
NYU
Few others.
Thanks very much for the answers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are halfway through your sophmore year? you're fine, just keep up the good work.

I think the best way to find out info about schools' stats is to call each school directly.

about ECs, just find a few things you really like doing, and stick with them. If you don't like band, replace it with something else. It doesn't even need to be school related at all.

if you want to go into a 0-6 pharm program, you will probably need pharmacy shadowing experience to prove to schools that you know what you're getting in to. Maybe work at a pharmacy as a clerk too.

Just don't join a dozen clubs so you can put them on your apps; you can't be deeply involved in that many actvities and schools will know its just fluff.

Volunteering always looks good, especially if you stick with one activity and do it regularly. Even better if you can find a pharm-related place to volunteer at and "get involved in your community"

SAT:2200+ is probably not required, but that score should work anywhere if you have the rest of the application.

2000 is probably good enough for most state schools, but i have no idea what 0-6 programs want.

Try to bring up your sophomore year's GPA a bit higher and get a higher GPA in junior year. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx to both of you. I really don't know what my GPA is because our scale is 4.5 and 5.5 for honors classes.

At my school a 94 and up is an A and a 90-93 is a B+. All me grades are at least a 90, except maybe one, so if i converted it to a 4.0 scale, meaning 90 and up is an A, would that mean I ahve a 4.0 GPA?

If they're all 90s and above then yes. But we add an extra 1.0 for AP and .5 for honors; so it might actually be considered above that.

Then I'd have like a 4.3, but I've never heard of that on a 4.0 scale. My school would only send out weighted anyways so I'm stuck with a low GPA unless the colleges translate it when they see it.​

Then I'd have like a 4.3, but I've never heard of that on a 4.0 scale. My school would only send out weighted anyways so I'm stuck with a low GPA unless the colleges translate it when they see it.​

I'm sure the colleges will. Straight As are straight As after all.

Ok i hope ur rite. any more comments on improving 0-6 pharmacy program chances?

Maybe go to the pharmacy forum, seach for different schools, and ask people who go there what the school is like and how to get in?

Or if you know of a college with a program like that then you could ask them about it when you go to tour it.

Yes but the program that I am talking about it the one that admits you directly from high school and If your GPA is up to par and classes are completed in your first two years, you are automatically accepted into the Pharmacy school for the next year. I think about 10 schools do this and therefore there is no PCAT required...kinda odd seein myself exempt from a test that's kinda important like this but I'll live.

Yes but the program that I am talking about it the one that admits you directly from high school and If your GPA is up to par and classes are completed in your first two years, you are automatically accepted into the Pharmacy school for the next year. I think about 10 schools do this and therefore there is no PCAT required...kinda odd seein myself exempt from a test that's kinda important like this but I'll live.

Sorry, I have no clue about that kind of program. Would be nice to have the pressure off though. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
URI is not the easiest 0-6 to get into - I believe last years average was 4.1 GPA and a 1330 SAT! Of the east coast schools, I would say that MCPHS is probably the easiest 0-6 to get into (not necessarily the easiest to stay in though!). Also, ACP is now a 2+4 school although they have a conditional guarantee for students who maintain a 3.0 prepharm, interview, and take the PCAT.

My D applied to 8 schools this year, all with 0-6 or conditional guarantees. So far she's been accepted to Butler, MCPHS, USP, and Duquesne. She waitlisted for Wilkes in PA (only 80 spots for prepharm), was not accepted to PharmD at St John's, and is waiting to hear from UB and ACP. Her stats were 4.0, top 10%, 1150/1780 SAT. She had 55 hours of pharmacy shadowing experience.

My advice is to keep your grades high, study and practice for your SAT/ACT (she didn't!), and apply early to the 0-6 programs, particularly those with rolling admissions! Good luck!

lol i thought the SAT was out of 2400 or 1600. Did she have any extracurricular activities besides the shadowing experience? College board just made up a new thing where u can show colleges only one test score and hide the other two so they don't see them. heard of it yet?

Ah yes that would make more sense. By the way, I've looked and MCHPS looks like a very good school. I'll be sure to put that at the top of my list...but idk about the cost of it though.

Yes, 1150 was M+CR, 1780 overall. The score choice policy for SAT's doesn't go into effect until this year, so not an option for her - not that she wanted to retake anyway! I can't remember all her EC's but she did take care of an elderly woman for 2 years (and based part of her essay on it), is a competitive skater, normal community service, chem club officer, NHS, etc.

Thanks. She sounds busy...I guess I should get to it to lol. Did she get a scholarship? and if so, how much?

good to see that your'e interested in pharm.D programs

Last edited:
PharmD programs are looking to see that youve taken Ap science courses like bio, chem, and physics. I only took ap bio but my science grades in regular courses were stellar.

I see that many students on this blog post SAT scores of 1100-1200 range,. Ideally, you would want something around 1350+. I must add that your performance on your verbal section is crucial because it is a huge indication whether a student will pass their licensing exams in the future if theyre in the pharm.D program. This also goes for medical school..and other health professions schools

Yes, so far she's received scholarships from every school (range $6K-11K/yr). Scholarship money is definitely based on GPA + SAT/ACT so even though she qualified for much higher based on GPA, the SAT score lowered her awards.

Agree with the other poster about shadowing - I think it helped her make a final choice and also showed she was serious and had thought about it when she wrote her apps. The MCPHS admissions director added a handwritten comment to her acceptance letter commending her for it.

Wow. Thanks you all really help alot. I just got a volunteer job and Ill do some pharmacy related stuff soon. Got my PSAT scores in today. 60 on Math (90% percentile), 60 on Writing Skills (95% percentile), and 51 on Critical Reading (77% percentile-I hate reading the stories). I think I did well for the first time, but no national merit or anything. Thought math was my better subject but I scored in the top 5% in writing skills instead. Do these PSAT scores look good to you all?:nod:

Wow. Thanks you all really help alot. I just got a volunteer job and Ill do some pharmacy related stuff soon. Got my PSAT scores in today. 60 on Math (90% percentile), 60 on Writing Skills (95% percentile), and 51 on Critical Reading (77% percentile-I hate reading the stories). I think I did well for the first time, but no national merit or anything. Thought math was my better subject but I scored in the top 5% in writing skills instead. Do these PSAT scores look good to you all?:nod:

Well...if you add a zero onto your PSAT score, that should give you an approximate range for your SAT scores, if you took the SAT with no additional studying. So ~600 math, ~600 writing, ~510 reading. But you can get considerably higher with a year or two more of school, and some practice tests.

And you are currently as sophomore? you should be fine then. I didn't take the PSAT as a sophomore, so maybe someone else can help more. You should get higher next time, but for now, I think thats pretty decent. :)

good to see that your'e interested in pharm.D programs

my stats were

97.3 gpa
1950 SAT score
700 Math I
650 Math IIC
EC's:
-did medical research at mt.sinai school of medicine
-shadowed surgeons in the OR
-yearbook
-varsity sports team

I applied and got accepted into

St. Johns School of Pharmacy Pharm.D program
UConn School of Pharmacy Pharm.D program
Long Island University PharmD program
Northeastern University Pharm. D program

Of all the programs st.johns and LIU were the easiest in the door. Stjohns is ideal because they dont even require their students to take their PCATs and directly enroll you into their pharm school in your 3rd year. All i sent stjohns were my transcript and SAT score. about the rest, i really dont know.

I am not in any pharmacy program right now, but two of my brothers are currently 4th year and 6th year students and my cousin is a 3rd year student. Pharmacy may seem ideal, but i highly recommend shadowing a pahrmacist first and se what its like. In addition, make sure you are willing to sacrifice a lot of time into studying. The paharmacy coursework is very intensive and rigorous. This is not to discourage you. It surely didntdiscouraged the many students in the program. However, im only saying this because you're young and you still have time to decide. I am currently a sophmore at NYU studying premed in hopes that i will be a physician one day. Good luck to everyone. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to IM me.

Yea, if you are applying to the Pharm.D program. Shadow pharmacist and try to get LOR from him.

I think that in Virginia I have to be at least 16 to do any pharmacy-related work/volunteer stuff, so I won't be able to start that for a couple months, maybe the summer with the way school is going, and oh yea, I am gonna quit band and take computer programming or maybe computer science as my elective.

Anyone heard of Anatomy and Physiology? Would that be a good class to take to prepare for pharmacy school and/or help me get accepted?

I'm currently a senior in high school and got into MCPHS's and Duquesne's PharmD programs. I've yet to hear from Northeastern or URI.

My stats are as follows:

GPA:
UNW - 3.25
W - 3.78

SAT:
Verbal: 630
Writing: 610
Math: 700
M + V: 1330
Overall: 1940

My main activity outside of school was working in a supermarket. It wasn't until the beginning of this year (Senior) that I started working in the pharmacy in the store.

Let me tell you though that the experience I get is invaluable. If you are ever offered an opportunity to work/shadow in a pharmacy, TAKE IT. Schools eat that stuff up. It shows both ambition and work ethic.

My stats aren't stellar, but if you pull off a 1300+ math and verbal on the SAT and pull your GPA up to a 3.5+, you should be fine.

GET WORK EXPERIENCE!

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Anyone heard of Anatomy and Physiology? Would that be a good class to take to prepare for pharmacy school and/or help me get accepted?

I'm taking it right now. It contains alot of medical terms (very dense materials); I think the class will no doubt help ease the transition from hs to college/medschool. Obviously doing well in any class will help with your acceptance. If you want to know about the class in details, you can PM me!
goodluck :)

A&P has been one of my favorite classes during high school. It definatly will help you with learning to remember terms ect, so I would suggest taking it.

thanx. I just got a volunteering position tutoring kids about 2 hours a week, but I'll definately be sure to get a pharmacy job/shadowing thing goin too. So Drownage did the cost of MCPHS sway you? I heard there were pharmacy hiring freezes in this economy so even less pharmacists are getting hired. I dont want to go down this route if I'm not guaranteed a job with all the debt accumulated. And I'll probably take anatomy along with AP chemistry in 12th grade (can't do AP Biology if i'm struggling in normal Biology).

It's not hard to get into 0-6 and 2-4 programs if you are not applying to prestigious universities.
Generally 3.5 GPA should get you to most places.
But for example, I have no idea what my gpa is on 4.0 scale but in Canada percentage score had mid to high 80's. My ACT score was little above average and I had to take TOEFL as well because some schools wanted me to have studied in Canada for around ten years which I didn't have.
Also I had a few extracurricular and volunteering.
Good luck
And for those who have been accepted to accelerated programs any of the years please contribute to the thread with link in my sig. Thanks in advance.

I was thinking of Canadian college but it's sooo cold. and would it take longer than 6 years for the PharmD degree? any extra schoolin required to practice in the U.S.?

The school in Pennsylvania that is 0+6 is University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP). For consideration into the PharmD class you need at least a 25 on the ACT (no score lower than a 23) and at least an SAT score of 1140. There are no GPA limits that I know about. Now, that said, last year's 50th percentile for the SAT was 1250 and GPAs are usually high 3.X (3.6+) or above 4.X. The nice thing about the USP application is that its short, there are no letter of recommendation requirements and you aren't asked to write an essay. Also, they do a application fee waiver if you apply before December 1. This year that date was extended to February 1.

Yes USP was it, thanks. sounds like my GPA is good for now, and the SAT shouldn't be too hard. Think I'll stick instate now though because of costs. Found out that UVA has pharmacology classes but not really a program, but since it's a really good school, I could probably transfer classes from there to another school to get a PharmD or Pharmacology degree. App. fees should be no worry cuz i gots time to save money.

Just so you know, it is extremely difficult (based on my institution) to transfer into some 0+6 programs because the class is brought in and most stay in so there are often very few, if any seats. We didn't have anyone transfer into PharmD this year.

Yea if i were to transfer i wouldn't try the 0-6 program. This might seem a little off, but I'd like to become a pharmacy technician so I can have that as work experience before applying/going to college. Anyone know the minimum age requirements to become one? Specifically in Va? It shouldn't cost much because I'm still in high school, right?

So does anyone know about a person who graduated from Pharmacy school and couldn't find a job? Just wondering because I want to be sure that I can get one before I make the commitment and get big loans...etc.
Thanx.:thumbup:

So does anyone know about a person who graduated from Pharmacy school and couldn't find a job? Just wondering because I want to be sure that I can get one before I make the commitment and get big loans...etc.
Thanx.:thumbup:

You will find a job very quickly, in fact you will probably be recruited before you graduate pharm. school..

And, not only will you have a job, you will most likely be making six digit figures, or pretty close..

As for the 0-6 program, are you set on it?? Because if you go to a regular undergrad you usually get all the required classes done for pharm. school in 3 years, and then pharm. school only takes 3 years.. So it's the same amount of time.. So how badly do you want to get into a 0-6 program?

Also..

Anatomy is the structure of the human body, while physiology is the function of the human body, if your planning on going into pharmacy you will take A&P at the college level.. imo it's a great class to take and I think you'll find you'll really enjoy it.. It is however a class that will make you study.

You will find a job very quickly, in fact you will probably be recruited before you graduate pharm. school..

And, not only will you have a job, you will most likely be making six digit figures, or pretty close..

As for the 0-6 program, are you set on it?? Because if you go to a regular undergrad you usually get all the required classes done for pharm. school in 3 years, and then pharm. school only takes 3 years.. So it's the same amount of time.. So how badly do you want to get into a 0-6 program?

Lol but ur comin from the midwest where they might need more pharmacists in rural areas than here in the northeast. Since the economy is gettin worse, i was just wonderin if pharmacists would suffer too. The thing I really like about the 0-6 program is guaranteed acceptance. If I knew i was gonna get in, I would possibly just go to college and complete my courses without the program, but it's still pretty short and seems like a good idea to me, so that's my plan for now.

Lol but ur comin from the midwest where they might need more pharmacists in rural areas than here in the northeast. Since the economy is gettin worse, i was just wonderin if pharmacists would suffer too. The thing I really like about the 0-6 program is guaranteed acceptance. If I knew i was gonna get in, I would possibly just go to college and complete my courses without the program, but it's still pretty short and seems like a good idea to me, so that's my plan for now.

Your right, they are different parts of the country. My aunt graduated from University of Colorado as a pharmacist last year and she had a job with six digit figures, like I said, in Denver..

EDIT: And she was recruited half a year before she graduated and she wasn't the best student out there either..
And yeah, I know exactly what you mean about guarantee'd accepetance.. I'm in a medicine program with guaranteed admission to medical school, if I wouldn't have gotten into it, I probably wouldn't have pursued medicine.. If you work hard for what you want to achieve you'll be fine. Do some shadowing also, try to get letters of reccomendation from pharmacists.

Good luck!

Wassup!. Didn't wanna start a new thread so I thought I'd use my old one.

So I was wonderin...anyone ever get a full ride scholarship into a 0-6 pharmacy program?

i dunno about scholarships, but all the 0-6 schools i looked at were insanely expensive. i didn't do the math, but i think i will be cheaper for me to go to 8 years of regular school than 6 years of 0-6.

so hopefully they have scholarships, but i doubt full ride ones. or if so, they must be very hard to get.

Before you start eliminating potential schools based on cost alone, I would recommend looking at College Board or the school's site for their average percent of need met; their scholarship programs; and your EFC estimate (collegeboard.com for Profile IM EFC estimator; or http://ifap.ed.gov/efcformulaguide/attachments/111408EFCFormulaGuide0910.pdf for current FAFSA info and calculations - most of the online calcs are not up to date.)

Ideally, you want to apply to some schools where you exceed the middle 50% of accepted students in GPA, test scores, and class rank %. This is what most merit scholarships will be based on. In general, there is much more scholarship and need based aid given at private colleges than public ones, particularly for OOS students at public u's.

Don't decide NOT to apply based solely on average % need met - just don't fall in love with that school! Some of the lowest average % FA 0-6's come up with the best aid for lower income students! But their average is based on the students that actually attend - ie. does not reflect awards to students that didn't enroll or necessarily apply to YOUR situation. If you estimate that your EFC will make you eligible for a Pell grant, then you may also qualify for other aid like an ACG, FSEOG, institutional need based aid, work study, and subsudized Perkins, HPL, and Stafford loans. Most states also have grants available for college students (but may require you go instate or to a state with reciprocity). All students are eligible for unsubsidized Stafford loans ($5500 max freshman year).

That being said, don't count on any school meeting 100% of need above the EFC. It rarely happens and it's best to start saving early and have a discussion with your parents about what, if any, they plan to contribute. Parents are eligible for loans as well as tuition payment plans or may be planning to use home equity to help. The big number at the beginning is scary but it becomes easier as you fit all the components of FA together.

Finally, since there are so few "true" 0-6's left, I suggest expanding your search to 2+4 schools that offer early assurance guarantees or preference to their own prepharm students. Make sure you include at least one instate public U on your list as a financial safety! (Or, if your instate rates are high, look to another state system such as SUNY that offers reasonable oos tuition rates.)

Before you start eliminating potential schools based on cost alone, I would recommend looking at College Board or the school's site for their average percent of need met; their scholarship programs; and your EFC estimate (collegeboard.com for Profile IM EFC estimator; or http://ifap.ed.gov/efcformulaguide/attachments/111408EFCFormulaGuide0910.pdf for current FAFSA info and calculations - most of the online calcs are not up to date.)

Ideally, you want to apply to some schools where you exceed the middle 50% of accepted students in GPA, test scores, and class rank %. This is what most merit scholarships will be based on. In general, there is much more scholarship and need based aid given at private colleges than public ones, particularly for OOS students at public u's.

Don't decide NOT to apply based solely on average % need met - just don't fall in love with that school! Some of the lowest average % FA 0-6's come up with the best aid for lower income students! But their average is based on the students that actually attend - ie. does not reflect awards to students that didn't enroll or necessarily apply to YOUR situation. If you estimate that your EFC will make you eligible for a Pell grant, then you may also qualify for other aid like an ACG, FSEOG, institutional need based aid, work study, and subsudized Perkins, HPL, and Stafford loans. Most states also have grants available for college students (but may require you go instate or to a state with reciprocity). All students are eligible for unsubsidized Stafford loans ($5500 max freshman year).

That being said, don't count on any school meeting 100% of need above the EFC. It rarely happens and it's best to start saving early and have a discussion with your parents about what, if any, they plan to contribute. Parents are eligible for loans as well as tuition payment plans or may be planning to use home equity to help. The big number at the beginning is scary but it becomes easier as you fit all the components of FA together.

Finally, since there are so few "true" 0-6's left, I suggest expanding your search to 2+4 schools that offer early assurance guarantees or preference to their own prepharm students. Make sure you include at least one instate public U on your list as a financial safety! (Or, if your instate rates are high, look to another state system such as SUNY that offers reasonable oos tuition rates.)

Well spoken. But there are still some 0-6 PharmD programs out there, and if I heard correctly, I think they might be making more in the coming years. Hampton University and Howard University give full scholarships. I like both but Howard better because it's in DC. It's just that the scholarship there is a little tough to get.

Eek. Where in DC? I'd be careful and try to stay out of the bad parts of town... it's really nice in places... but others...

Lol have you been to DC? It's mainly a bunch of rich buildings, and Howard U is somewhere in there. Yes there is a bad part..just one small little part in my opinion, especially compared to Boston and New York...even Richmond. It's good to me. Last time I went was August 2008...nice sunny day and EVERYONE excercising. In my opinion, you'd have to look fo the bad parts lol

My sister is currenlty in her 2nd year at MCPHS which is a 0-6 and you are fine. Her GPA was a better, but your classes are harder so you will be fine.