This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlutterbyFlyHi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've always been interested in repro (and genetics), and it looks like not every school offers reproduction courses? I'm not sure yet if I want to actually specialize in repro or not, but I would at least like to take repro related classes for my electives. So how about your school? Is repro offered as a specialty? If not, are there at least a decent amount of repro related classes? How about genetics?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I've always been interested in repro (and genetics), and it looks like not every school offers reproduction courses? I'm not sure yet if I want to actually specialize in repro or not, but I would at least like to take repro related classes for my electives. So how about your school? Is repro offered as a specialty? If not, are there at least a decent amount of repro related classes? How about genetics?

Thanks!
Therio (reproduction) is a core subject, so even if you don't see it in the curriculum as an individual class it is there, at least in the classroom portion. You get it in physiology, pharmacology, pathology, medicine, etc. In clinics it is a core subject in my school, so you get 2 weeks of it as a rotation regardless, though you could have electives and externships in it as well.

We had a really brief 1 credit class in genomics at the beginning of 2nd year and it was not my cup of tea at all...

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks!
Yeah, you'll cover repro physiology as well as therio.

We had repro physiology (moreso the hormonal/biological aspects) first year, then therio (moreso the human interventions of repro, how to breed animals, etc.) for 8 weeks in third year. We also had therio labs-palpating horses and cows, preg-checking sheep, and collecting dogs and stallions.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup. OKstate hits on it at various points for embryology, then has one semester long class dedicated to therio third year. Two different therio rotations to choose from 4th year and plenty of electives for equine and food animal reproduction along the way.

Reactions: 1 user