reporting internship hours in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm in a situation where I don't know what to do. I really need some advice.

Background - I'm a foreign graduated pharmacist. I have completed 1500 hours of internship in CA in both hospital and community setting. Because of my accident and other obligations, I struggled to complete all the hours and was working until the last day of my intern license period. Now, my intern license is no longer valid even though I have completed all the internship hours.
I emailed CABP several times and also called and left messages. Nobody answered my Qs. So, I'm hoping that someone on this board may know answers to my Q or can guide me to the source that knows it.

1) Do I need to have a valid intern license to submit an application and be eligible to take NAPLEX and CPJE? Since my license is not valid, I'm no longer working.
2) I was under an impression that the intern license is given to you so you can collect your hours and complete your internship. I read the application form and the material that comes with it. Nowhere it says that your intern license has to be valid to take NAPLEX (though its true that many students' licenses are valid while they are taking these exams). I wonder if CABP will still accept my hours and let me take the boards?

Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to report the hours worked in order to be eligible for the board. My friend from out of state just reported her hours & took the boards she never practiced in cali before that.

Yes, i believe too that you need to have active intern license(unexpired) until you pass both the licensure exams and/or until you receive RPH license.Since they havent reponded to your emails,i would submit all the info required for application for pharmacist licensure with LETTER of EXPLANATION indicating your reasons for delay(including fee and finger prints done).In that way they they will respond to you.In this way you dont waste your time( just some money to invest) and you will hear from them sooner.It is better to send sooner before new grads kick in.:)
Hope this helps!

Hello all,
I'm in a situation where I don't know what to do. I really need some advice.

Background - I'm a foreign graduated pharmacist. I have completed 1500 hours of internship in CA in both hospital and community setting. Because of my accident and other obligations, I struggled to complete all the hours and was working until the last day of my intern license period. Now, my intern license is no longer valid even though I have completed all the internship hours.
I emailed CABP several times and also called and left messages. Nobody answered my Qs. So, I'm hoping that someone on this board may know answers to my Q or can guide me to the source that knows it.

1) Do I need to have a valid intern license to submit an application and be eligible to take NAPLEX and CPJE? Since my license is not valid, I'm no longer working.
2) I was under an impression that the intern license is given to you so you can collect your hours and complete your internship. I read the application form and the material that comes with it. Nowhere it says that your intern license has to be valid to take NAPLEX (though its true that many students' licenses are valid while they are taking these exams). I wonder if CABP will still accept my hours and let me take the boards?

Thank you for your time